Hattiesburg Happenings (July 22)

You must not have been following drum corps lately, giving Southwind an 89.00 would put them 0.20 above the Blue Devils. Maybe the last time you followed drum corps Southwind was competing but they are on the same sheets.

I think you missed his point. Scores are not expected to be consistent across classes.

look at recaps. Visual has been BD weakness so far

And have been Cadets in Visuals the past several encounters.

I've been at shows were people all around me are loudly announcing who won well ahead of the announcement. Yeah, it's a farce. It's really not about us on the internet waiting...

Wow, no kidding? I went to an early season show, but I guess that early posting of scores did not occur, at least I don't think it did. Nobody shouted out results when I was there, but I have no idea when scores where posted online.

I agree with you, some fans can be absolute idiots and inconsiderate of others, and if you say some fans are loudly blurting out results at the live show ahead of the stadium announcement, I believe you. I haven't seen that myself, but I take you at your word that is happening.

That would ruin the experience for those who have put their butts into the seats and put their money down to buy a ticket. It's a shame the few have ruined it for the many, but the concept of rude and inconsiderate fans is not a far stretch at a drum corps show. You've convinced me.

I am changing my position 180 degrees and I agree with you, DCI should hold those scores until after the official announcement.

• Like 4

What would have been the effect of DCI posting finals scores last year as the Marine Corps D & B were playing the competing corps onto the field for retreat? Go to Youtube and play the video of the 2014 Awards Ceremony and ask yourself how it would be different if the scores were known........

• Like 1

look at recaps. Visual has been BD weakness so far

When was the last time there were as many contenders for the title this late into the season? I don't know about you, but I can't get enough of this! What a great year this year. I spent more time following drum corps this year than keeping up on current events - almost embarrased to say. But, who cares! This is fun!!!

You must not have been following drum corps lately, giving Southwind an 89.00 would put them 0.20 above the Blue Devils. Maybe the last time you followed drum corps Southwind was competing but they are on the same sheets.

Again, irrelevant...... Southwind 89.00 and BD 88.xx would have been same night, same show, same judges, DIFFERENT contest class.....

Somewhere in the world last night, someone may have scored a 90....... (and they weren't nearly as "good" as BD.....)

The meaning of a score at any time is to be taken with a grain of salt since, like figure skating, diving, and gymnastics, it is as objective as subjective can be. If we want dead-on accurate scoring, we should follow the Horseshoes International tour, or Horseshoes Associates on weekends.

Again, irrelevant...... Southwind 89.00 and BD 88.xx would have been same night, same show, same judges, DIFFERENT contest class.....

Somewhere in the world last night, someone may have scored a 90....... (and they weren't nearly as "good" as BD.....)

The meaning of a score at any time is to be taken with a grain of salt since, like figure skating, diving, and gymnastics, it is as objective as subjective can be. If we want dead-on accurate scoring, we should follow the Horseshoes International tour, or Horseshoes Associates on weekends.

Uh. Perhaps you aren't understanding. BD and Southwind are in different classes but under the same scoring scale and sheets. That's how scoring works now, whether you like it or not.

You're right that scoring can't be 100% objective, but corps CAN be put in a general neighborhood called a "box" and there is absolutely no way Southwind is even close to the box the Troopers are in let alone BD.

• Like 1

Actually, according to GH's Facebook, they've been learning some new closer drill. Major changes coming to the show.

they are changing literally four counts backward - so more an adjustment than a "Major change"

I think you missed his point. Scores are not expected to be consistent across classes.

If you see his new reply, he really didn't know what I was trying to explain.

they are changing literally four counts backward - so more an adjustment than a "Major change"

Agreed. The poster to whom you were responding may have been alluding to the new guard palette and image. In light of the weather, he may have to wait until Murfreesboro.

Edited by xandandl