Hypothetical Cadets Uniform Question

So there are rumors flying about this, and so far, no official word. This is still very much in the hypothetical stage, so please respond with that in mind.

If the Cadets were to change to an all-black corps proper uniform (to go along with all these other cosmetic changes of different colored guard uniforms, front and back panels, show silks, and field tarps), would you be agreeable to that or not, and why?

One added question if you are a Cadets alum who might be totally against this kind of change because of the traditional aspect of the "maroon and gold," does it create a paradox for you when the corps preaches expanding boundaries, seeking to be innovative and always at the forefront of change, etc, but then creates an automatic and unbreachable restriction when it comes to making any sort of wholesale changes to the corps uniform? (And let's face it, a change like this would be THE most radical departure from the Cadets appearance that we've ever seen.)

To be very clear, this uniform switch is still in the rumor phase. For all we know, there could be nothing to it at all. OR the uniforms are on their way and we'll see them sometime between Atlanta and Allentown. To their credit, George and the Cadets have been about as transparent with their process this season as any corps in history. If something like this is going to happen, we will most definitely hear about it before it does. Or see glimpses of it in rehearsal footage, as I'm sure they would most likely rehearse with the new uniforms before putting them out there in competition.

(snip*)

So what does this all mean? I still don't know. All I know is that whatever happens with the Cadets uniform, we WILL find out very soon, and very likely BEFORE they roll them out in competition. What do you think?

* in the interest of full disclosure, I removed the part about George's comments re: "the cat and the bag" for a couple of reasons. One, because I couldn't locate the actual comments when I looked for them today. And two, because I want to focus on the hypothetical nature of the question. Especially as it relates to Cadets alums who are extremely passionate and possessive about that uniform.

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 1

So there are rumors flying about this, and so far, no official word. This is still very much in the hypothetical stage, so please respond with that in mind.

If the Cadets were to change to an all-black corps proper uniform (to go along with all these other cosmetic changes of different colored guard uniforms, front and back panels, show silks, and field tarps), would you be agreeable to that or not, and why?

One added question if you are a Cadets alum who might be totally against this kind of change because of the traditional aspect of the "maroon and gold," does it create a paradox for you when the corps preaches expanding boundaries, seeking to be innovative and always at the forefront of change, etc, but then creates an automatic and unbreachable restriction when it comes to making any sort of wholesale changes to the corps uniform? (And let's face it, a change like this would be THE most radical departure from the Cadets appearance that we've ever seen.)

To be very clear, this uniform switch is still in the rumor phase. For all we know, there could be nothing to it at all. OR the uniforms are on their way and we'll see them sometime between Atlanta and Allentown. To their credit, George and the Cadets have been about as transparent with their process this season as any corps in history. If something like this is going to happen, we will most definitely hear about it before it does. Or see glimpses of it in rehearsal footage, as I'm sure they would most likely rehearse with the new uniforms before putting them out there in competition.

Yesterday, as I clicked through the comments on George's facebook page when he posted the new color guard uniforms (or it may have been The Cadets' facebook page), someone asked him, "Does this mean the corps uniforms will be changing color too? Come on George, let the cat out of the bag." (or something to that effect, I don't recall the exact wording.)

George's response was, "There is no cat. There is no bag."

So what does this all mean? I still don't know. All I know is that whatever happens with the Cadets uniform, we WILL find out very soon, and very likely BEFORE they roll them out in competition. What do you think?

Well, based on GH's response, I'd say there's nothing to talk about because there is no uniform change coming.

• Like 2

Well, based on GH's response, I'd say there's nothing to talk about because there is no uniform change coming.

Hence, the hypothetical nature of the question. If they did make this change, what would you think about it?

Edited by seen-it-all

I can't see DeMoulin (their uniform supplier) being ok with making about 100 uniforms to be worn for two weeks and then never again. It just doesn't seem practical to me. If the guy in my avatar were really considering black uniforms for the corps, I think he would have been more transparent about it. Then again, I've been wrong before.

• Like 1

I can't see DeMoulin (their uniform supplier) being ok with making about 100 uniforms to be worn for two weeks and then never again. It just doesn't seem practical to me. If the guy in my avatar were really considering black uniforms for the corps, I think he would have been more transparent about it. Then again, I've been wrong before.

If the Cadets ask DeMoulin to make them uniforms, it's not like they would say no. And the Cadets can easily sell those uniforms after the season.

• Like 2

If the Cadets ask DeMoulin to make them uniforms, it's not like they would say no. And the Cadets can easily sell those uniforms after the season.

If The Cadets are asking DeMoulin to make the uniforms free of charge, and they probably would be, then DeMoulin probably could say no. And yes, I guess they technically could sell the uniforms after the season is over, but like garfield said, if they were going to do it, Hop would have probably been more transparent about it. When has he ever not been transparent about this sort of thing?

As an Alum I also say bring on the black uniforms.

When I marched there was talk of doing a Film Noir show with a greyscale (like black and white photograph) version of the uniform. Needless to say that didn't happen, but Marc Sylvester did do a noir show with Colts this year

If The Cadets are asking DeMoulin to make the uniforms free of charge, and they probably would be, then DeMoulin probably could say no. And yes, I guess they technically could sell the uniforms after the season is over, but like garfield said, if they were going to do it, Hop would have probably been more transparent about it. When has he ever not been transparent about this sort of thing?

You all are misunderstanding his question. This is HYPOTHETICAL. Whether Hop is going to do it or not is a totally different conversation. He just wants public opinion on the reactions that would occur IF the Cadets changed the unis.

If something like this were to happen with regards to the uniform, it would be the most radical departure from the Cadets' look in their history. Personally, there's a part of me that would like to see what it would look like; and there's a part of me that would miss seeing the maroon and gold on the field at Indy.

But if they're going to do it, I can't think of a better way. We've gotten over half the season with the traditional look so hard core fans and alums can be content, and no one has ever done a complete wholesale change in the run-up to finals. If nothing else, the drum corps world would be abuzz, if not going thermonuclear. Yes, they've typically been transparent with all aspects of their show, but I could see why something like this would be approached with feigning ignorance.

Regardless of what they're wearing, the show that's being performed is one of their best ever, IMO. I want to see them bring everything they can in these final weeks.

• Like 1