Coastal Surge has folded

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

"....after a long long emotional day, the 2 guys have found the strength to lift themselves, put their huge disappointment aside and accept one of the kind offers of a new drum corps experience. They are on their way to join up with Spirit of Atlanta where they will have a 2 week experience of rehearsing and touring with a world class drum corps.

'Grateful' doesn't even begin to convey how we feel for all the people who offered help, and then waited patiently whilst the kids worked the emotional scale from being disillusioned, crushed and bitter to being ready to do some more drum corps. And a huge shout-out to the staff at Spirit who are allowing these kids to rehearse and tour with them...giving them an experience they hadn't anticipated.

I saw on the Coastal Surge parents Facebook group that the kids are finding places at a number of corps...so good things are happening out of this appalling situation."

Just talked to these kids and am SO happy they can finish their season with Spirit. I hope the rest of the members can find temporary homes somewhere if they still want to march -- Racine, maybe (hint, hint!).

• Like 2

As a Parent of one of the Surge members, we have MANY questions that are still unanswered. The 501c3 status was part of the problem. They were NOT transparent with members or parents on their financial situation. A major sponsor (to my understanding) pulled out due to the non profit status not being up to date. I do feel that DCI has some part of the responsibility here. However, the lack of a board of directors and not enough accountability enabled the unraveling of the corp. There are things that don't ADD up. Why, knowing they were folding, would they contract a Synth player a day before they folded? This is just one example. To answer the tuition fees. We were asked to pay $1000 in tuition, this had been discounted from $1700 as we did not come until later in the process. Bottom line, these kids and parents were "sold" on their DCI dream coming true. And even though SOMEONE had to be aware of the dire circumstances at the Preview/parent show, nothing was said.

I will say that a good bit of the members have found homes with other corps who have reached out to welcome any member of surge. Raiders, Bushwackers, Racine. I DO appreciate that.

My son however, did not choose to do that. This is just surface information. There is a LOT more that we have learned since Wed.

Our take: make sure to review financials of any corp before committing. Won't happen to us again!

• Like 2

As a Parent of one of the Surge members, we have MANY questions that are still unanswered. The 501c3 status was part of the problem. They were NOT transparent with members or parents on their financial situation. A major sponsor (to my understanding) pulled out due to the non profit status not being up to date. I do feel that DCI has some part of the responsibility here. However, the lack of a board of directors and not enough accountability enabled the unraveling of the corp. There are things that don't ADD up. Why, knowing they were folding, would they contract a Synth player a day before they folded? This is just one example. To answer the tuition fees. We were asked to pay $1000 in tuition, this had been discounted from $1700 as we did not come until later in the process. Bottom line, these kids and parents were "sold" on their DCI dream coming true. And even though SOMEONE had to be aware of the dire circumstances at the Preview/parent show, nothing was said.

I will say that a good bit of the members have found homes with other corps who have reached out to welcome any member of surge. Raiders, Bushwackers, Racine. I DO appreciate that.

My son however, did not choose to do that. This is just surface information. There is a LOT more that we have learned since Wed.

Our take: make sure to review financials of any corp before committing. Won't happen to us again!

This explains some but still not how for a second year in a row the same urgent plea went out for nearly the same amount of money. In my mind, with the timing it shows a lack of forethought in logistics costs and touring associated costs at least.

• Like 2

Just talked to these kids and am SO happy they can finish their season with Spirit. I hope the rest of the members can find temporary homes somewhere if they still want to march -- Racine, maybe (hint, hint!).

Just out of curiosity, would these 2 young people be the ones from England?

Yes, the Brits are with Spirit, thankfully.

"This explains some but still not how for a second year in a row the same urgent plea went out for nearly the same amount of money. In my mind, with the timing it shows a lack of forethought in logistics costs and touring associated costs at least. "- This was our first year having any experience with them.

• Like 2

"This explains some but still not how for a second year in a row the same urgent plea went out for nearly the same amount of money. In my mind, with the timing it shows a lack of forethought in logistics costs and touring associated costs at least. "- This was our first year having any experience with them.

Thanks moma. I was speaking in general terms and not towards continued experience. I can't tell you how truly angry I am about this situation and how it must be affecting the kids.

Just out of curiosity, would these 2 young people be the ones from England?

Yes. We had our Delta Ceremony yesterday. I got there a little late so I don't know if JW (Corps Director) specifically announced their joining Spirit to the crowd.

We were sitting in the gym getting ready for some free time and just talking about how they got to Spirit. Great kids!! The young lady is in the Guard and the young man is in the battery.

Edited by CrownBariDad
  • Like 2