Darn Good Drum Corps in Dublin - official thread

Then who is in 10th/11th?

I think Crossmen could find themselves fighting against a surging Colts or Troopers. I would not put money on Crossmen falling from finals just yet, but it will be close. Regarding Blue Stars, they could be the ones battling for 12th. I have only seen them at the movies, and I won't see them live until Allentown, but judging from scores, placements, and comments, it seems like their show is either on fire, or not that well received. While my guess is that they will be solid come Indy, they may be an unpredictable corps placing as high as 10th but scrambling for 12th.

Edited by Tim K

Crossmen: Clean and smooth, leading the group in execution, with a drowsy show lacking a knockout punch. Can they coast into finals cleaning an already clean show? With 11 days until prelims, do Xmen have something up their sleeves? Is fiddling with the closer, or some other new ingredient, too risky? Is simply adding fff enough? Or has this show topped out?

There were some changes put in for Atlanta. Some new guard accessories in the form of "wings" and the closer was "fiddled" with compared to previous shows. Whether it wasn't enough of an improvement or whether it was just too new to be executed at the same level of the rest of the show is the question.

I think Crossmen could find themselves fighting against a surging Colts or Troopers. I would not put money on Crossmen falling from finals just yet, but it will be close. Regarding Blue Stars, they could be the ones battling for 12th. I have only seen them at the movies, and I won't see them live until Allentown, but judging from scores, placements, and comments, it seems like their show is either on fire, or not that well received. While my guess is that they will be solid come Indy, they may be an unpredictable corps placing as high as 10th but scrambling for 12th.

if you haven't seen the show since the movies I wouldn't say much. A lot of it has changed and cleaned up. This weeks focus is cleaning drill which they brought someone from Star 93 to do. Increase in the visual score is what's needed the most now.

Granted, I'm just a little bit biased but I really think that out of this group, the Colts have been the only one that has just steadily increased over the last few weeks. If you look back at scoring, there has not been an up one night, down the next like the others. They are just point by point, increasing each night which is a great sign (at least for those of us hoping the Colts can pull this out). The staff appears to be listening to the judges, taking in what they are being told, and making changes everyday and it has not hurt them by not seeming prepared for each night's performance. Their staff really seems to pull it out of these kids near the end just coming up a little short last year. I'm hoping that since they caught Troopers earlier than last year, that it will help to guide them towards that elusive top 12 spot. Who knows, maybe we can have a 3-way tie for 12th! :)

Ah Pit Dad, we can always count on you to pump up the Colts!

And I mean that in the best way possible. It's nice to see people honking for corps other than the front-runners. Always had a soft spot for the Colts since I went to camp there back in 93!

• Like 2

Ticket sales are WAY ahead of prior years and, if past pre-show/day-of-show sales ratios hold true we'll have our largest turnout ever.

Thanks!

That's great! Is it from the BD draw, BC draw, or both? Seems like over the years, when BD visits a show, they draw like the Yankees.

The Blarney Stone pub is open and serving (and several other "proper" Irish pubs in town.

Come on in!

I'll step inside this fine Establishment here in Dooblin, and rest me weary legs, thank you kindly.

" Its true, You can sit outside in Paris and drink, itsy, bitsy, tiny cups of coffee.

But why this is considered more stylish than sitting inside and drinking

large glasses of whiskey, I don't know. "

P.J. O' Rourke, American Satirist, Writer

Honestly, I think that when corps are as close as Blue Stars and Crossmen have been, order of performance and who the judges are is influencing the outcome more than performance on any given day. Performance matters a little bit, but there is a lot of subjectivity at play across the sheets and it could be just about one or two persons' opinions that put one corps above another by a few tenths. You might even say this is happening in the top three also, of late.

In these shows without multiple judges in the GE and Percussion categories to average things out, there more potential for judging to play a part in the results.

IMO, of course.

Edited by barigirl78

Spot On, barigirl78!

It's one of the consequences of scoring everyone so very tight, perhaps in effort not to make anyone too unhappy. I think I'm seeing the same tendency in DCA. I really don't know how to protect against such an issue, but yes, this year's Indy action might well be determined by one person's mark. One person who chooses to deviate a bit more boldly, shall we say.

if you haven't seen the show since the movies I wouldn't say much. A lot of it has changed and cleaned up. This weeks focus is cleaning drill which they brought someone from Star 93 to do. Increase in the visual score is what's needed the most now.

Good to hear! They did this back in 08 I'm pretty sure, but I Can't remember a name for the life of me.