Getting to the next level

You are correct, competition is what we do.

Bottom line though is to get to the next level, first raise the needed funds to get there.

My statement is that too many corps try be be more than they are without gathering the funds first to be competitive, so they can do what it takes to get to the next level.

If the funds are not there, be creative or accept your lot until you can raise the necessary funds.

totally agree

Case in Point: "The Academy" Since 2004, the Corps Debut, I have been a avid fan, a substantial financial supporter, long time volunteer and a co-driver for their tour the past two summers.

I've seen The Academy win Division II Gold in 2006 in their first National tour (after two previously undefeated but truncated seasons.). I also have a long history with Arizona Corps including serving on the BOD for the former Arizona Sun 1991-1993. Sadly, I've seen too many Corps come and go from the Grand Canyon State In addition, witnessing the demise of hundreds of Corps throughout the country that have fallen by the way side, due to the prohibited cost of its operations and "Touring." It boggles my mind that our own membership has to come up with annual fees of $3200.00. How the heck did Drum Corps arrive at such a "limited" and cost restricted place, to the detriment of thousands of talented, dedicated musicians.

Now this will go against the grain for many of you, however,My feelings, my investment, satisfaction, acceptable level of performance for the continuation and longevity of THE ACADEMY is my desire to see them become the Best of Their Ability. My personal hope is seeing them attain a top 15 placement. For most of the past 11 years they have been able to meet or exceed my expectations with a very modest budget, Would I like to see THE ACADEMY achieve a Top 12 placement, most certainly so. But not at the cost or budget and back breaking, and heart breaking decision of disbanding a Corps, which I sorrowful witnessed with The Arizona Sun as a BOD. It took me the better part of a decade to emotionally recover from the decision I took part in, in disbanding such a promising, well staffed, but underfunded program that attempted too much too soon.

Mark Richardson, Academy Executive Director had a dream to found a Drum Corps, he spent years in creating and developing an organization. He took baby steps, never spent more then he could afford, solidified a Percussion and Brass Ensemble over three years, before realizing and unveiling his dream with the debut of The Academy Drum & Bugle Corps of Tempe, Arizona in 2004. Todays it stands as a shining example of what good management, financial responsibility, patience, endurance, intestinal fortitude and a Corps well defined mission statement can lead to In addition, the launch of "The Academy Alumni Association in 2014" has made a vital contribution in its on-going campaign to retain and sustain its veteran membership. One only has to see the results on the field with its 2015 production of "A Step In Time." THE ACADEMY is the very embodiment of the shows theme.

I want to take this space to acknowledge and admire the incredible success and longevity of PIONEER. Ranking be ####. Their program over the years has welcomed hundreds if not thousands, of inexperience young musicians and giving them "World Class" life changing and affirming experiences without regard to placement. They have stood the test of time and I must also point out, they are one of the most traveled corps year in and year out, putting on up to 30 performance per summer. How many Corps can offer that kind of itinerary of experience. In my book, they are among DCI's finest Ambassadors of the drum corps activity. Period! BRAVO PIONEER!

• Like 1

I'd say show design is a big part of it, but a bigger part, I think, is the quality of the corps members.

From what I've heard, BK placed more emphasis on quality performers the past couple of years and that...along with their new direction in show design...is what has helped them move up. They are just doing it all better the past couple of years than they have in the past.

As far as what they can do to advance to, say, the top five...it's got to be more of the same. Getting to 8th last year helped them attract better performers. If they reach 6th this year, they'll attract even more, better, performers next year. That'll let the staff be even more selective in deciding who they offer contracts to.

some of the most important steps have nothing to do with what you see on the field.

you have to build an infrastructure that keeps everything running smoothly, and in a quality way. Why? This will help ensure retention of members and staff. If you're shuttling new kids in every year who plan to go elsewhere next year, you're always starting over. if you get kids who want to stay and grow with you, you win. Don't believe me, look at Bluecoats and Crown.

The same with staff and design team. Sure you can get that hired gun writer who already has other gigs...I remember once in the 90's a drill guy more worried about getting drills done for his bands than his corps. But if you get the right people, and help them grow and stick with them, it pays off.

this isn't an overnight fix. Look at the two examples I used...Crown and Bluecoats. While both missed finals ( 2002 and 19990 respectively, and both got into the top 6 mix within a few years, it took Crown til 2013 and Bloo has yet to get that ring, because the competition at the top is intense.

But it can happen.......but off the field is the key before you can see it on the field.

• Like 2

First off, GREAT discussion here. There have been some great points above.

As background... I did not march; HS Band, Drum Corps, etc. I have zero musical talent. I have a MM... and have chosen to get involved in the activity because I think the overall experience ​for the MMs should be the activity's number one priority no matter what your "size." From that superior experience will come superior performance, better crowds and a thriving activity top to bottom.

​​To answer the question as posed ("what does it take to get to the next level") I think the answer is "a sustainable funding mechanism" and not just MONEY. This activity, like many non-profits... struggles in it's middle tier... to "survive" financially every year. There's been improvement in some of the profit sharing model from DCI... and I think that this is WELL understood by the various Boards that help guide this activity. But at the end of the day... while there isn't a single corps that isn't involved that wouldn't take $1M grant thrown at them now... a one time cash infusion would not sustainably move a corps in the 22 - 13 tier into the top 5. That, is Money.

What is needed is a sustainable, growing business model to fund the core operations of the organization (Pay Dir salary, admin staff, maintenance & upkeep of corps assets like instruments, fleet, etc.) combined with a professional, systemic giving program to make up the difference between what the members pay and what the operating expenses are for a given year (instructional staff, etc.). That will enable the best staff to be hired & kept... and the MM's to have the best experience possible, which in turn sets off the positive chain of outcomes I've outlined above.

My closing thought is this: There's not a single corps right now in the top 7 that isn't spending more than $1m annually at this point. And that is AFTER endorsement deals from instrument suppliers, uniform suppliers, etc. Let that sink in for a minute. That's what it costs to get into the top tier. And... I personally don't see how it will be any different going forward. That isn't good, or bad... but I do think that everyone involved in growing drum corps just need to acknowledge that as close to fact.
YMMV. Opinion not valid in North/South Dakota, Guam & New Hampshire :cool:​

Great topic and one I have often thought about.

What is the driving motivation for a MM to pay $3000 to march at any drum corps? Win, develop skills to go to a top 12, 0r 5 corps, or have an educational experience???

With my latest experience being in the Pacific NW, I realize it is very difficult, if not impossible to lead a corps in the NW to the top 12 without a huge influx of cash. That being said......

Can a corps like Oregon Crusaders or the Cascades ever reach the top 12? (again in Cascades case, 2002 12th) I believe it is possible, but it takes a couple of things. Strong management of the corps, especially finances. These corps budgets are 1/3 or less of the top 5.

Finding cost effective ways of developing local talent at a younger age would help these groups out. There are several new Open class limited touring corps in the NW starting. I think its up to 4 now. The Columbians are really turning a corner and if they were touring all summer, would give the top 5 in Open Class a run for their money. Considering they are 3 years old now, they are turning heads.

Developing strong fund raising opportunities. Find a home base, build a corps hall or facility to house the corps equipment and a practice facility and have a physical presence. Get a local community to support that corps. Saying your from Portland or Seattle, but no commitment from those large cities, leads me to believe that it is not helping financially. I would love to see a model similar to the Cavaliers where the city of Rosemont helps supports the corps. Part of the reason why the Cavaliers are not the Chicago Cavaliers any more. Rosemont has been an excellent supporter of the corps.

A solid tie into a city that not only gains an ambassador opportunity for the city, but some financial support ($$, housing sites, rehearsal facilities...) in return for that exposure and assistance in educating youth in the city. I think this is an area that requires some thought on the corps BODs.

Anyway, I think there needs to be some giving to the community in order to benefit from being "from xxx".

Then, maybe placement is not as important as making a difference in kids lives, which is what the activity really does. Especially at the lower level corps where winning is not an option. Sure winning is nice, but that is not the only option out there.

Sorry for the rambling.

• Like 1

Star of Indiana however had more money available to themselves to do this than any other Corps at the time,... or since.

Its the best, most effective, most proven way to get to the top... but its rare that we see such a Corps with such deep pockets available to themselves such as what Star had.

Yup...I've always boiled it down to the one thing that pervasively impacts our community: Competition. Great staffing, however you manage it. If the other guys are killin' you in horns you hire (or persuade, eh?) the best instructor you can get, not to mention a quality writer. You see this phenomenon in all aspects of society, at least those that require somehow rating the participants (of course in our free market economy this is absolutely apparent...).

• Like 1

You'll be sadly mistaken if you don't it think it will. And you'll be sadly mistaken if you think that losing a top flight designer won't send you into an immediate placement dive the following season.

Star of Indiana snagged George Zingali from 27th.. 27th plummeted into oblivion, Star shot up straight to the top. Phantom lost their Percussion designer, they went south. Cavaliers lost Gaines, they went south ( trying now to recapture that medal magic ). We could give you a dozen examples of where Show Designers went to other Corps, and their placement took off over the next few years... and the Corps they left behind, plummeted. SCV developed a great drumline because good drummers followed You Know Who to there. Phantom has never recovered since. Its as clear as a bell as to the dominating influence and importance of Show Design, Top staff to placement.

Unfortunately you are sadly mistaken if you think adding a "big name" will always shoot a program to the top. Too may examples to list them all. But it just takes one counter-example to disprove your assertion.

Michael Gaines (not too many bigger names than that)

+

Spirit of Atlanta

= Result: Spirit medals!

NOT!

Adding the right name (Zingali) to right team (Star) can vault a team to the top. But a LOT of other pieces were already in place. But it's certainly no guarantee. And drum corps history is littered with wasted dollars spent on acquiring a NAME only to show nothing of consequence in the results (other than spending money trying to "get to the next level".

Instead of getting big names, hire great TEACHERS and develop your talent (and raise your ceiling) from the inside.

Edited by corpsband

A couple points for you all on the smoke and mirrors of operations...

to make up some costs many corps dip into their alumni base. Many of the older corps have alumni organizations (who are also fantastic musicians, or educators) that come back to teach, write, design...etc. And since they are alumni they can help with discounts on the cost of design. (in some cases...free even) But you also dip into your alumni base for financial, admin, and volunteer support. Its tough. I won't say its not. I've watched two corps I marched with fold, and two I taught do the same because support in at least one of two of these areas (admin, finances, teaching/design) was extremely thin. I think you can make up one of the three with support from the other two, but it means it's 2.5X more support that the other areas have to kick in. And then it adds stress to that area.

I don't think this is the only answer to help cut costs. But its a start.

As I work with lots of theaters and performing arts non-profits, i see everyone getting step down grants now. (20K this year, 14K next year, 8K after that... etc etc etc) Which stinks. So that funding has to be made up somewhere. Sponsors, dues, patting down your alumni and local groups. Bingo, Raffles, Space & Equipment Rentals...etc are all ways you see corps trying to raise money.

One unfortunate side effect of growth of drum corps in an area, is that eventually you'll all be fighting over the same talent. Think of NJ, PA area. (Cadets, Surf, Raiders, + a half dozen All-age corps) Now while Cadets doesn't have to rely on locals as much for membership, they still are getting the top cut of talent from the immediate 4 hour drive radius. Those who don't want to spend that time or money, then go to the senior corps, or even for some, its more cost effective to fly from one major hub to another to be a part of a corps that is thousands of miles away.

Yup...I've always boiled it down to the one thing that pervasively impacts our community: Competition. Great staffing, however you manage it. If the other guys are killin' you in horns you hire (or persuade, eh?) the best instructor you can get, not to mention a quality writer. You see this phenomenon in all aspects of society, at least those that require somehow rating the participants (of course in our free market economy this is absolutely apparent...).

Unfortunately you are sadly mistaken if you think adding a "big name" will always shoot a program to the top. Too may examples to list them all. But it just takes one counter-example to disprove your assertion.

Michael Gaines (not too many bigger names than that)

+

Spirit of Atlanta

= Result: Spirit medals!

NOT!

Adding the right name (Zingali) to right team (Star) can vault a team to the top. But a LOT of other pieces were already in place. But it's certainly no guarantee. And drum corps history is littered with wasted dollars spent on acquiring a NAME only to show nothing of consequence in the results (other than spending money trying to "get to the next level".

Instead of getting big names, hire great TEACHERS and develop your talent (and raise your ceiling) from the inside.

You are quite right. Although having an name can help maybe get a second look, then the corps is on their own to produce. Another factor is are they exclusive with this new corps? There are corps that have staff from other corps that dont emerge as the next best thing all the time. If a corps requires a NAME then they better produce otherwise it hurts.

Another example are marching members who get jobs based on where they marched. well many bands get burned every year for the staff person who mainly walk around in their corps jacket for attention but cant teach. Just because you marched somewhere doesnt mean you can do what your staff did for you. Some of the greatest people i have hired ( especially techs ) have been from non top 5 but on occasion I do find from the top 5 someone who gets it...JMO

You are quite right. Although having an name can help maybe get a second look, then the corps is on their own to produce. Another factor is are they exclusive with this new corps? There are corps that have staff from other corps that dont emerge as the next best thing all the time. If a corps requires a NAME then they better produce otherwise it hurts.

Another example are marching members who get jobs based on where they marched. well many bands get burned every year for the staff person who mainly walk around in their corps jacket for attention but cant teach. Just because you marched somewhere doesnt mean you can do what your staff did for you. Some of the greatest people i have hired ( especially techs ) have been from non top 5 but on occasion I do find from the top 5 someone who gets it...JMO

All true.

Another thing: chemistry.

You may bring the best of drill designer in the world on board but if the chemistry is not there in the design team, you just aren't going to get good results.

• Like 3