Judging Panels for Finals.

Jay Kennedy is on MA, Paul McGarr is on Brass and JP is on Percussion 1.

whew

• Like 1

Caleb Rothe is Percussion 2

I can sleep now. til a 4th judge is added....oh wait, wrong circuit

This is probably an old question, but can someone explain why there's 2 percussion judges but not 2 brass judges? Just seems odd to me that the smallest section of the corps requires 2 judges.

This is probably an old question, but can someone explain why there's 2 percussion judges but not 2 brass judges? Just seems odd to me that the smallest section of the corps requires 2 judges.

Not sure.

Maybe.

Because they're all a bunch of prima-donna divas??? :peek:

• Like 2

On field and off field. The battery requires an up close view in order to observe things like stick heights, attacks, and stuff like that as well as a total ensemble perspective. Brass doesn't require both

In many ways, Music Analysis is the 2nd brass judge. I know they judge the musical ensemble as a whole, but as you say, there are more brass players than percussion.

In many ways, Music Analysis is the 2nd brass judge. I know they judge the musical ensemble as a whole, but as you say, there are more brass players than percussion.

Yup, that's why Crown with strong brass, weak perc, almost always does better in this caption than SCV (weak brass, strong perc).

• Like 1

On field and off field. The battery requires an up close view in order to observe things like stick heights, attacks, and stuff like that as well as a total ensemble perspective. Brass doesn't require both

I disagree that you can't hear different things up close to a brass line than from the stands. Individual technique, attacks, quality of sound and uniformity of such from individual to individual come to mind right off the top of my head. Just as there are things you can hear from the stands that you can't hear as well from the field (balance and blend, ensemble timing, etc). Each location offers unique and valuable audible perspectives for assessing achievement in my opinion. There were separate sub-captions for field and ensemble brass for a reason until they had to carve out enough points to create a separate caption for guard.

As discussed earlier in other threads, some changes to the Finals panel:

- J. Harper (Brass) will not be judging at all

- P. McGarr will judge Brass instead of Music Analysis

- J. Kennedy will judge Music Analysis instead of Percussion 2

- C. Rothe has been called upon to judge Percussion 2