Official DCI Semifinals Thread 2015

No. There's more than a point separating the top two and Cadets. This has become a 2 horse race

I would be interested in knowing how many times a 1 point deficit in semis has been overcome to win the gold. Any DCI history geeks know?

Edited by SuncoastCrown

Top Twelve
1 - 96.775 Carolina Crown
2 - 96.625 Blue Devils
3 - 95.775 Bluecoats
4 - 95. 500 The Cadets
5 - 93.425 Santa Clara Vanguard
6 - 91.150 Blue Knights
7 - 89.775 Phantom Regiment
8 - 88.625 Madison Scouts
9 - 88.400 The Cavaliers
10 - 86.300 Boston Crusaders
12 - 85.275 Blue Stars
12 - 85.275 Crossmen

Fixed for all practical comparison purposes.

Now fixed.

Is this the first time in the post-tick era (1984-on) that no one has topped 97 prior to Finals?

Congrats to the Crown... they won Quarters, Semi's, and unless they fall apart they are the 2015 Champions.

Also not lost was the improved Guard with Crown this year. The pathway to a DCI Title must include a first rate Guard, and Crown had that this year.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, I can see exactly where this is going...another Blue Devils world championship.

"I WISH..."

• Like 1

You're right on time with that post. I'm guessing you had it already typed hours ago.

sadly I could have typed it when I saw the panels the other night

and I hope I'm wrong - I'd much rather see BD take it

Crown and Cadets did it all with virtuallly no props on the field this year too.

Man, I know the platforms are green and blend in with the field and all, but it hurts their feelings when you say they aren't even there.

• Like 2

jasgre2000, on 07 Aug 2015 - 9:46 PM, said:snapback.png

You're missing the point, this has NOTHING to do with George Hopkins and whether or not he has had success in the past. Did you read the post you quoted? "...COMPARED to (the crappy lights) at Allentown."

I saw Cadets with each set of uniforms and I've seen every broadcast this year. The uniforms frankly look GREAT, that is also NOT THE POINT. Let me give you specific examples.

Cadets do a lot of leaning or stepping out with the leg during choreography. You can't see the leg movements because they blend in with the rest of the black pants of the other horn players, and the black pants of the guard. There is no "wow" factor because you can't see the movement.

Cadets do a lot of leaning with their upper bodies, which expose the shakos and plumes to cool looking formations and angles. With the white shako this was a great effect. With the black shako it blends into the uniform of the marcher behind the ones in the front. If you study the video and the black plumes you can find it, but only if you look for it. It is not typically visible when just looking at the formation.

There is a super cool block move by Cadets during the ballad when they turn sideways and do a high leg lift, right on the 45's, right down the middle. You can't see the different angles because no matter which way they turn, the black blends into the other black. Even some color, like the red Crown has on the pant, would be helpful to provide some contrast.

I'm not making up what I see, I'm just observing it, and because I've seen both both live, and both on video. I can compare and contrast what I see.

You can make all the improper appeals to authority (ie, George Hopkins must know what he's doing so it must be right) but opinion does NOT change physics; the black uniforms are not visually effective with the marching and choreography put into the show by the staff. Bright lights do not help, it's just worse in poor lighting.

I'm not trying to be critical, I'm being analytical about what I see. I love Cadets, they're my favorite show this year. It's killing me that the show isn't going to win. My opinion isn't going to change that either. :sad:

Wouldn't it be something if they went back to the maroon and gold tomorrow and Cadets dropped to 5th and SCV ended up in 4th?