OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

Very trivial point:

I just relived the scores, and Brandt Crocker needs to go. I know he's the voice of DCI and is probably a very nice man, but come ON. His tone when announcing BD's championship was almost rude. He should have no bias. I'm sure the argument will be that I'm full of crap (I often am); frankly, I would have been happier with a Crown win. I have no Devil in this race (nor do they care this morning, right?). Even last year, with the highest score ever, he rattled it off as though it were an afterthought. Every single solitary person alive knew BD would win last year. We were ALL waiting on the edge of our seats for that Score. How about, "99-point- (pregnant pause)-(another pause) 65." He certainly rubbed it in when Phantom won in 2008. And for God's sake, he all but wailed and cried when he shrieked "THE CAVALIERRRRRRRRRS" in 1992. Bias. Oh, and Cavies 2002? "In first place...undefeated..." but not the 2000 Cadets or the (pick a year) Blue Devils? Again, bias. (These are all available to relive online.)

Again, it's a trivial point, and I can't figure out why I'm so bugged by this. I don't know the man nor have ill-wishes. But come ON.

You're not crazy, I definitely noticed the tone too.

Doesn't really bother me that much, but it's definitely something he needs to improve on.

I like Brandt Crocker MUCH better when he delivers in a calm, business like manner (like at retreat last night). His growling corps introductions, on the other hand, are so redundant and obviously contrived. Gets on my nerves. I'm all for keeping BC in the booth, but I really wish he would return to his delivery style from the 80s.

• Like 1

He sounds liquored up when he presents. I think he's a DCI icon and a one of a kind, but even Michael Jordan hung it up after time

• Like 1

You and I know it's all about the recovery, and boy did he recover *quickly*.

Gives the impression that he (or others) fell before.....

I

Think the biggest gamble Cadets took this year was Jeff writing the guard into the drill. The plan was for a frenetic nonstop musical/visual "clinic". The problem is guards can't be constantly moving and properly display their work. There needs to be deliberate guard features. I think Crown did this the best of the top 5 and Cadets the least.

This is a key point, and it was really noticeable in the crowd-favorite follow-the-leader move near the end of the opener. All season I thought that would be restaged, because the horns and drums are doing an expansive, loopy follow move, which left a large blank space on the 50 to about each 40. Rather than fill that with the weapons, parked or or just moving amongst themselves, they are instead near the front sideline doing a ferocious follow in an elongated oval shape. The kids are having to haul butt and turn very sharp corners, leaving them little opportunity to face the front, much less do anything other than simple equipment work. Pretty hard to achieve in that situation.

As I watched this week with a friend of mine who is an accompished modern dancer (and Cadets guard alum), she strongly felt the modern dance they were attempting was near impossible at those tempos, while moving that quicky. By its nature, that style needs to sometimes be performed from a stationary position for the best effect (see Bluecoats). Running so much in the form gave just seconds for a move to be executed before they were on to something else, resulting in the sort of "flailing around" appearance.

I'm sure they've learned a lot from this year and gotten some good feedback, so will make a few different choices next year.

• Like 1

Where do i go on periscope to see encore?

(Why is this app so counterintuitive for finding stuff? first time user, here.)

This. Cannot figure that site out at all.

Ah well...there goes the last $99 I'll give DCI!

Why? To be honest, the number of shows offered and number of outstanding shows by the corps this year, as far as I'm concerned it was $99 well spent. Would I have liked on demand playback....sure. But I'd like a million $$$$$ too, but I'm not going to get that either. Some people just can't be satisfied with anything.

I

Think the biggest gamble Cadets took this year was Jeff writing the guard into the drill. The plan was for a frenetic nonstop musical/visual "clinic". The problem is guards can't be constantly moving and properly display their work. There needs to be deliberate guard features. I think Crown did this the best of the top 5 and Cadets the least.

As far as musical construction, Cadets will always opt for technically challenging books. That's what they do. They knew the inherent risks with this show, they knew demand is no longer heavily rewarded but they wanted to be Cadets. I think we'll see little changes musically but a rethink on guard staging next year. Winning the Ott award, I'm confident they'll have hundreds of qualified brass players interested in marching next year and the design team will look at their successes and failures this season and adjust. This was the most competitive season in a long time so we knew someone amazing wouldn't medal. A shame..

Go back and look at Cadets 2011 championship show and you will see almost identical integration of guard and corps. George has mentioned many times that when the guard is not integrated like that the judges blast them for it.

This is a key point, and it was really noticeable in the crowd-favorite follow-the-leader move near the end of the opener. All season I thought that would be restaged, because the horns and drums are doing an expansive, loopy follow move, which left a large blank space on the 50 to about each 40. Rather than fill that with the weapons, parked or or just moving amongst themselves, they are instead near the front sideline doing a ferocious follow in an elongated oval shape. The kids are having to haul butt and turn very sharp corners, leaving them little opportunity to face the front, much less do anything other than simple equipment work. Pretty hard to achieve in that situation.

As I watched this week with a friend of mine who is an accompished modern dancer (and Cadets guard alum), she strongly felt the modern dance they were attempting was near impossible at those tempos, while moving that quicky. By its nature, that style needs to sometimes be performed from a stationary position for the best effect (see Bluecoats). Running so much in the form gave just seconds for a move to be executed before they were on to something else, resulting in the sort of "flailing around" appearance.

I'm sure they've learned a lot from this year and gotten some good feedback, so will make a few different choices next year.

Agreed. Those poor kids worked like animals to achieve something that was unachievable. Great show in many areas though.