Corps goals/ideas for 2016?

I'd like to see BD do some latin/jazz again. With their percussion winning, I'd like to see some heavy drumming again like in 2007 Winged Victory show. I loved that one.

Cadets, do something that will tug at emotions again. It's been too long. I'd really like to see a good patriotic show again. I didn't consider 2013 a patriotic show, btw. Since you're a north-eastern corps, do some kind of New England Americana show.

Charles Ives, Howard Hanson, George Whitefield Chadwick, Amy Beach, etc.

Crown, do something a bit more beautiful and graceful. Go back to cream uniforms, with some gold and purple accents. I miss the "old" Crown.

I'd be really intrigued by the idea of Phantom Regiment and Philip Glass someone mentioned earlier...although not sure how that would work out. John Adams worked well in 2003. Not sure I like minimalism with Phantom, though. With SCV, yes, with Phantom, not sure. Phantom is/should be emotional...if you're going to do Glass, do some of the more emotional stuff.

I have no idea what I'd like to see SCV do. They've been all over the place in terms of repertoire. I would not mind seeing this group do Glass. They still have Gaines, right? Let him take over the show theme. He's got great ideas. Let him run it all completely this next season if he wants.

Cavs, you'd better find a new niche. The Cavs of the past are now history, and you need to find something that will bring back your identity to the forefront.

How about something medieval? Or something techno? Sounds silly, but maybe explore that.

Blue Stars needs to do something much more open and accessible. Use the field. The drill doesn't have to be complicated and exquisite. Go back to something inspiring. There was just way too much going on in Side Show. Sometimes simpler is better.

Or do an Australia show. OMG I would love to see that.

Scouts, quit doing broadway. Please. Time to move on.

Crusaders, do some classical music. I'd like to see some color in the music. Michael Torke, anyone?

Blue Knights - do a show called "Inspired" and make it about inspiring historical figures like Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa, Mahatma Ghandi, Joan of Arc, Martin Luther King, even Christ if you're ballsy enough to and won't cower from the politically correct crowd. A show like this would follow your niche and provide some meat.

Bluecoats, I really think 2016 could be your year.

Don't go back to something soft. Bring it and bring it hard. But, have a little bit more meat on your theme. The last couple years' themes were incredibly simple but gave you a silver and another bronze. Let's go for more.

Don't be afraid to open up your design and have it a little bit less bulky and blocky. Curvilinear drill is still your friend and you should try reacquainting yourself with her in a more intimate way.

DCI - get the Fan Network back and try to get yourself back on TV. Beg whoever you can. I'm going to Finals next season (if I can) no matter if it will be broadcast on TV for free or not. And if possible, move Finals down to Bloomington. LOS is a terrible venue and there are no good places to sit. All the good seats are reserved for "Friends of DCI". No matter what seat you get, you either have a good view and bad sound, or good sound and bad view.

If it's not possible to move the location, then at least have the roof open. It's not acceptable to not have the roof open if the weather is beautiful.

Cannot wait until next season!

Edited by BoyWonder1911

I have been in LOS when a band was playing with the roof open and I really didn't notice a difference. I'm also not sure that if the roof was open you would be able to have all the black fabric to dampen the sound. If it was possible to have both, then it would be worth trying to do, but without all the black curtains I don't think opening the roof would help.

The other problem with opening the roof is that it puts all these shadows on the field that I don't think people would like that would be there for the majority of the performances.

I really want Bluecoats to do a show titled "Rewind". The show could consist of Musical & visual statements, that at various points, pause, and then rapidly rewind to the beginning of the phrase (or into a new idea/movement). They could use audio clips of cassette tapes being rewound & Dj turntable effects. There's some music out there that actually sounds pretty cool when played backwards. I bet their design team could pull off a Cheeseball idea like this.

5th Symphony backwards

https://youtu.be/Lg8myXd8jUA

Requiem reversed

https://youtu.be/Ypy6A2jrRrQ

Edited by rancidrolla
  • Like 1

I really want Bluecoats to do a show titled "Rewind". The show could consist of Musical & visual statements, that at various points, pause, and then rapidly rewind to the beginning of the phrase (or into a new idea/movement). They could use audio clips of cassette tapes being rewound & Dj turntable effects. There's some music out there that actually sounds pretty cool when played backwards. I bet their design team could pull off a Cheeseball idea like this.

5th Symphony backwards

Requiem reversed

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. ME LIKEY!

That's actually pretty fantastic for them.

5th Symphony backwards

Requiem reversed

Yes! Yes! Here comes the gold!
  • Like 1