Carolina Crown 2016

I think the consensus is the battery is definitely much further along and probably more talented than they've had the past several years. I don't think they will compete for a drum title just yet, but you can tell the group is more mature this season. The book is tasty, but they have to fix the phasing problems - which they will. They will have a solid group this season.

From a percussionist's perspective, how did the drums sound in comparison to last year at preview?

Edited by Newseditor44

Or you can look from a slightly higher vantage point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDqanijlRUw

The only part that left me a little a flag was the Tango, but after getting a second read on it with a much higher quality recording, I can't get it out of my head. Theyre going to be jamming.

If youre having second thoughts about this show at all definitely watch this much higher quality video/audio: https://youtube.com/watch?v=f0C71ECjOaA

• Like 1

The "thing" doesn't seem to be integrated into the show very well, IMO.

They just drag it across the field pretty much in a straight line, unload the saloon doors, reload the saloon doors, stand on it, throw flags from it and that's it...

Not sure that it adds anything to the production - kinda' like the trampolines a few years back; if they took it away who would miss it?

• Like 5

It doesn't have the same presence on video as it does in person. There is a lot going on in this show, and it takes seeing it in person a few times to begin to catch everything.

They just drag it across the field pretty much in a straight line, unload the saloon doors, reload the saloon doors, stand on it, throw flags from it and that's it...

Not sure that it adds anything to the production - kinda' like the trampolines a few years back; if they took it away who would miss it?

• Like 1

I would. I think using it as a stage of a sort is putting it to good use. The trampolines from 2014 were pretty useless, but this "thing" adds to the Western vibe, is used as a stage and storage, and I'm sure it's going to be more integrated after they get the basic show on its feet.

I am very impressed with this show so far and can just imagine what they will do with it when they clean and add. Here's a few photos I snapped yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jetography101/albums/72157670039910025

Edited by Jeto
  • Like 1

Not trying to ruffle feathers (and sincere apologies if I'm wrong) but are we sure the trombone soloist is female? Looked at Jeto's pics... hmmmmmm.

it's ok. im sure the MM is enjoying the moment :-)

(and yeah -- everyone in the corps heard about it!)

Edited by corpsband

it's ok. im sure the MM is enjoying the moment :-)

(and yeah -- everyone in the corps heard about it!)

Are they going to use plumes in their hats?