Carolina Crown 2016

SCV is great. Sandi and Paul do incredible work. He was great at Phantom and he was great back when he wrote for and taught Carolina Crown. I am not taking anything away from SCV in their program so no insult coming from me. I am simply trying to help you understand that what Hannum writes in not an afterthought as you so eloquently put it.

Im more referring to the "percussion ensemble with brass accompaniment" jab that a lot of people like to make about SCV. Not sure what's wrong with a corps giving equal emphasis to the percussion, especially when the writing is so unmatched in musicality.

But I guess there really isn't any point in arguing about it. A good season for Crown and SCV, can't wait to see what happens next year!

Congrats Crown!!!!!!!

I've had too many beers, so let's leave it at that. Well deserved caption wins!!!

• Like 1

Judges just aren't buying what Thom Hannum is writing.

It's musical as crap, makes use of space and is amazingly coordinated in ways other books aren't, but they apparently want something different. They need someone willing to RAM THE NOTES whether or not it makes musical sense or not. In what other caption does the judge dictate content like that? (answer:none)

And they need to change. Because it's dragging down one of their biggest strengths (Brass and MA).

Maybe have Aungst write the battery book? I dunno.

The thing that bothers me about this is this:

If a guard is 5 or 6 places behind the corps, other visual captions can't help but notice and it will push their captions down too.

If a brass line is having trouble, that trouble will spread to all the other music captions.

If a musical effect doesn't work, the visual effect guys will notice and vice versa.

But apparently in percussion, a line can suck but apparently NO ONE ON THE REST OF THE PANEL is capable of noticing. I guess all those other musicians on the panel are deaf and can't hear the terrible weakness. Or they just know NOTHING at all about percussion. :doh:

Because of this drummers end up calling the whole show. Because they're perfectly fine with calling large spreads in a caption that is -- in the grand scheme -- just a "specialty" award. Even the percussionists admit that most of the battery book can only be "read" if you're right on top of them (or falling over them). Otherwise you just can't tell. So the audience and the rest of the judging panel are over-ruled by things no one can see or hear.

</rant over> and it is a rant. i'm not gonna argue. too bad for you.

I'm not sure if I understand ... give Carolina SCV's 1st place percussion score, and Crown's score inches up .3. Ahead of BD, but still not winning. So how, in this case, does this mesh with "drummers end up calling the whole show"?

I'm not sure if I understand ... give Carolina SCV's 1st place percussion score, and Crown's score inches up .3. Ahead of BD, but still not winning. So how, in this case, does this mesh with "drummers end up calling the whole show"?

Not really talking about tonight specifically. I'll make that clearer. Thanks for pointing it out. It was a rant -- what can i say :biggrin:

Edited by corpsband

Very happy Alum here and extremely proud of Crownguard!!!

Congrats! The CC guard program has been incredible year after year for so long and it's awesome to see them finally get a trophy.

• Like 2

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! Hung out with Crown in the lot and everyone is ECSTATIC about the caption wins!!! The vibe from Crown tonight was infectious and I'm so happy for all of them. This hornline is truly astonishing and their guard was incredible - and the awards prove it!

Well done everyone! This was the HANDS DOWN most incredible year of Drum Corps!

• Like 4

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! Hung out with Crown in the lot and everyone is ECSTATIC about the caption wins!!! The vibe from Crown tonight was infectious and I'm so happy for all of them. This hornline is truly astonishing and their guard was incredible - and the awards prove it!

Well done everyone! This was the HANDS DOWN most incredible year of Drum Corps!

And Visual Award - huge as this rewards excellence for then entire corps.

And how about the guard! One year removed from deserving the award last year - but hung in there and and besting a corps that had won the Zingale for 9 years straight. Has there ever been a guard with the shared performance difficulty as this super-human guard? The best I've ever seen!

Hornline? Surreal. It was clear they were the best and were properly rewarded. Crown proved that they've got the best brass in the world. INCREDIBLE!

Very proud to be a Crown fan today!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

I remember visiting the corps the first week of June at Srpng training and being blown away by the sound of the hornline. And back to the last camp in May and watching the drumline learn music, then seeing them a month later and how they looked like a completely different group. So proud of these kids and what they accomplished. Sad that the season is over. Great job Crown!!!

• Like 2