Carolina Crown 2016

2015 is officially in the books. It may not have gone how a lot of people wanted, but this year ought to be smokin'! And I'm not talking about an inferno.

• Like 1

I predict Crown will be the crowd favorite (again), the brass staff will return to an amazing hornline, the percussion staff will continue to develop a possibly elite drumline (I always thought The People's Front Ensemble was smokin' hot) and of course the color guard will assert their dominance over the field.

As for the show? I have not a clue. They swept me off my feet with Inferno and fielded my favorite piece of music ever, Symphony No. 9. Maybe next year they can field my favorite band piece, Lincolnshire Posy. If anyone should do it, it is them.

Scores be ######, this corps is the true People's Champ.

• Like 7

I really hope they go back to some Brass Band/Concert Band Music again, those were my favorite parts of 2012 - 2014 by far. Dreams, The Light Fantastic, Perihelion, Vitae Aeternum, ect. Not saying go back to that show formula, but that's something I missed this year.

Keep the percussion staff in tact. That's not what cost them the championship this year, and they improved quite a bit this year. Only a few tenths behind Vanguard at finals. Actually liked listening to their feature this year.

I'd love the return of a lighter uniform personally. Definitely not a deal breaker for me.

I see them REALLY coming out swinging, I know scores aren't everything, but coming that close has gotta fire them up some. No brass trophy this year or last year, me thinks they're gonna do something bout that. Same with the guard trophy this year. If anything, this show is probably going to draw A LOT of people to audition. Fantastic rebound after 2014. Build on it.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

I'd like to see them do Symphonic Metamorphosis- Paul Hindemith,. Call the show "Metamorphasis" with a return to cream with colored accents. The guard, drums and brass could do miracles with this piece. The have the anger and the desire to supercede what they did this past year.

• Like 2

are we talking about what to do next? in that case:

Belshazzar's Feast by Sir William Walton please.

i would die of happiness !

I mentioned in another thread we did Belshazzar's Feast with William Warfield (of Showboat -- Ol' Man River fame) at NC State U -- full orchestra, 2 brass ensembles, and massed choirs. I think we had every college chorus in Raleigh there. Anyway in our first rehearsal with Mr Warfield, we get to the part where Belshazzar is slain and the Conductor gets ready for the big cue. Mr Warfield sings the King is slain, the Conductor gives the cue, and 200+ voices SHOUT "SLAIN!!!!!!"

I thought Mr Warfield was going to fall over, but he slowly turns around to face the chorus and then a big grin spreads over his face. "Nice" he said approvingly. It was a great concert by the way.

Yes, this would be an interesting piece for Crown.

• Like 1