Carolina Crown 2016

I'm just wondering, how far in advance do corps plan their shows? In other words, is it likely Crown, BD, and others already know the concept for next years show?

Very likely. BD said that they had the Ink idea in their minds for years. I'm sure other orgs are similar. I know Cadets usually have some sort of list of ideas that they don't necessarily choose until the preceding season is over.

I'm just wondering, how far in advance do corps plan their shows? In other words, is it likely Crown, BD, and others already know the concept for next years show?

Didn't GH say that he had wanted to do the Shosty 10th for years but was waiting for a talented enough group to pull it off?

Didn't GH say that he had wanted to do the Shosty 10th for years but was waiting for a talented enough group to pull it off?

Yeah he said they've wanted to do it since the 80s but he knew it was kinda tough to try to tackle. Glad they used it this year. I don't think I could have played it at the time I marched.

I'd like to see them do Symphonic Metamorphosis- Paul Hindemith,. Call the show "Metamorphasis" with a return to cream with colored accents. The guard, drums and brass could do miracles with this piece. The have the anger and the desire to supercede what they did this past year.

So much other Hinedmith that would be more interesting.

Klesch will do great with whatever they choose. Can't wait.

I mentioned in another thread we did Belshazzar's Feast with William Warfield (of Showboat -- "Ol' Man River" fame) at NC State U -- full orchestra, two brass ensembles, and massed choirs. I think we had every college chorus in Raleigh there. Anyway in our first rehearsal with Mr Warfield, we get to the part where Belshazzar is slain and the conductor gets ready for the big cue. Mr. Warfield sings "the King is slain", the conductor gives the cue, and 200+ voices SHOUT "SLAIN!!!!!!"

I thought Mr. Warfield was going to fall over, but he slowly turns around to face the chorus and then a big grin spreads over his face. "Nice" he said approvingly. It was a great concert, by the way.

Yes, this would be an interesting piece for Crown.

In the 1950s in England, there was a cartoonist and comic monologist named Gerard Hoffnung who was a fairly popular radio personality. He was also a musician, being quite proficient on the tuba. He produced a pair of well-attended orchestral concerts with some very serious musicians doing very silly things. Malcolm Arnold, for instance, composed an overture for orchestra and vacuum cleaners. Apropos of your experience, in one of the concerts, William Walton conducted an excerpt from Belshazzar's Feast. He came out, raised his baton, led the chorus in just the world "Slain!", put down his baton, took his bow, and left. That was the whole excerpt.

• Like 3

In the 1950s in England, there was a cartoonist and comic monologist named Gerard Hoffnung who was a fairly popular radio personality. He was also a musician, being quite proficient on the tuba. He produced a pair of well-attended orchestral concerts with some very serious musicians doing very silly things. Malcolm Arnold, for instance, composed an overture for orchestra and vacuum cleaners. Apropos of your experience, in one of the concerts, William Walton conducted an excerpt from Belshazzar's Feast. He came out, raised his baton, led the chorus in just the world "Slain!", put down his baton, took his bow, and left. That was the whole excerpt.

I think I recall hearing about this. We had a "Phobeharmonic and Antimusica Society" at NCSU where we did a lot of PDQ Bach and such. I think someone told me about this or we listened to a recording. Cool!

Love your INT banner. Only I would put a ladies room on it.

Not sure if you are implying that my suggestion for a Crown shown is a 'Wimpy' suggestion but...if so...no reason for you to be an arse about it....just say you don't agree.

• 4 weeks later...

And pull it off they did! What a fantastic hornline! Without a doubt my favorite Cadets show ever! Wish they placed higher because they sure brought it.

• Like 1