Rule Clarification: Open/A Class Prelims/Finals

ftwdrummer

Name/Corps represented: Steven Silverberg, Texas Zephyrs

Clarification: Open/A Class Championships Scoring

In Season XXIII, there were issues implementing the early Open/A Class championships. I'm not up on the details of what those were, but for prelims nearly everyone's GE went over 40, presumably due to how the numbers were being sampled/generated (attempting to use Finals numbers, I believe). This was mostly fixed for Open/A finals, but there were issues there as well (running the numbers for Finals, if I recall; initially the recap only had ten corps).

It's almost certainly way too early to be thinking about it (what with the season not happening until January), but I believe this should be looked into sooner rather than later, so we can have everything squared away before the season starts.

I think it was handled well which is why I brought it up before finals week started. If we want to go back to a time when we did Class A / Open / World prelims and finals on the same nights that is an option. That has been done before in the past.

For non-live seasons its a no-brainer since scores are known each class prelims/final could be on any night using real scores.

For live seasons its different. This year for Class A and Open we had prelims scores happening on a non final week night (with some generated scores on 8/3) and then finals was scores from Thursday night prelims.

I have this suggestion for LIVE seasons scoring and this way we get the most of real scoring and not generated.

Let me know what you think:

DCI Thursday night Prelims - Class A / Open / World Prelims (all 3)

DCI Friday night Semis - Class A / Open Finals and World Semis

DCI Saturday night Finals - World Finals

The reason I put Class A and Open finals on Friday night is most corps will perform with scores as most of the captions we select are for corps in the top 25. There were only 2 corps we could select from that did not make semi-finals, Jersey Surf #28 and Pioneer #29.

I could support that idea for handling live seasons. Kudos to whichever corps gets to performs twice on Friday first (if we keep Open/A competing in World Prelims).

The only reason I asked for the clarification was because there were issues generating the scores last year (for whatever reason).

as long as finals scores are based off real scores for all 3 divisions in a live season, i don't care if its from Allentown on--but I agree as Kevin said during the season--for championship of any of them they need to be live scores (besides the obvious need for some captions to be generated at world finals)

in none live seasons, I dont care if they all end up generated, makes it more exciting LOL as a matter of fact maybe nonlive seasons should end up generated scores

Edited by gcurrier

in none live seasons, I dont care if they all end up generated, makes it more exciting LOL as a matter of fact maybe nonlive seasons should end up generated scores

You make a good point here on non-live seasons since scores are known. Have to think on that. I guess what you mean is that Saturday night finals scores would all be generated based on real scores. I think this needs to have more discussion and a clear path so it's documented.

I was under the impression that ALL championship-week shows for non-live season were generated, to avoid the predictability of just having an "automatic" champion.

My plan for the upcoming off-season is definitely to use generated scores based off the real scores for your corps/year.