Increase Class A starting caption points

Galen

A few seasons ago, we instituted a rule change that restricted Class A corps' caption choices for GE scores to make the scoring emphasis more about performance than show design and encourage corps to use different captions that those that are the "meta" for a given season. However, we didn't increase the caption salaries at the time, and we saw that scores for that division took a bit of a drop in the subsequent seasons.

My proposal is to increase the starting caption salary for Class A corps to 105 points from the original 95 (but keep the GE restrictions in place), and let it grow to 110 over the course of the season. I picked these values based on how mathematically, the caption salary for Open Class is about 86% of what World Class's is, and I think it makes sense for there to be the same ratio between Open Class and Class A.

Matt - I can see your reasoning as we didn't want this to become a PC/Mandarins/Cascades show but also remember this is Class A. When you think about it these lower tier corps should be involved. PLUS since you put a limit on for GE it will obviously increase what you put in for the other captions.

105 to 110 seems to high to me. If you wanted to make it slightly higher to (95 to 100) I would be ok with that. I don't want Class A to become a mini-Open division.

I like having a nice, even 30 points between divisions: 90-120-150 to start, 95-125-155 to finish. Although 100-125-150 to start might work. I want an even gap up and down from Open Class.

I would consider raising the points for ALL divisions by 5 or 10. Thoughts?

I agree with raising the points either JUST for A or for all