DCI Finals Week Review

Thanks everyone - and mucho gracias, Jonathan. I agree with you completely on your Phantom/SCV comments & as usual on most everything! You are also right on Blooo's great balance....

Wow, Kamarag! I'm truly humbled!

Great review.

I think Crown did have their best show Saturday night so I disagree with you there.

I agree Cadets were on fire and most people in the box thought Cadets were over Bluecoats by a few tenths. (A few judges included).

Troopers were probably my favorite corps to not make finals ever. Loved them from day 1.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. This season will go down as the most competitive I've ever witnessed.

No, I didn't notice either!

And you weren't the only one. (I didn't notice the Bluecoats speaker problem in the webcast.) I wonder if the judges noticed. Just as a guard judge might not see a particular drop, the brass judge down on the field might not have realized that Crown's flugel soloist wasn't miked.

Did you notice, live but in your very high seats, what several others have mentioned based on the webcast or from being in lower seats:

--That one of Bluecoats speakers wasn't working?

--That Crown's ballad soloist's microphone wasn't working?

Bluecoats' electronics had some issues in the opener (especially leading into the opening hit). Saw some staff members looking at each other with concern but it seemed to be working for most of the show.

Crown's soloist was not mic'ed for finals. The mic was having an issue that they tried to fix but gave up in the end to avoid a penalty. He knew it wasn't working and played accordingly. The only real issue with it seemed to be when he plays the final section after the climax of the piece. The crowd was so loud that you couldn't hear any of the solo.

Great review as always Harvey

Did you notice, live but in your very high seats, what several others have mentioned based on the webcast or from being in lower seats:

--That Crown's ballad soloist's microphone wasn't working?

Yep, totally caught that. On the webcast, while Crown was still waiting to start their show, I noticed a commotion going on in the pit. Eventually I made out that it was a horn, and then I guessed that there was an issue with the solo horn's mic. Sure enough, when they got to the ballad, no amplification. It would've been fine, but the poor guy was staged SO far backfield for so much of the solo that it became hard to hear him.

I had no problem hearing him from the 50 on the top deck...