Phantom Regiment 2016

The terrible pathways show with one motif that was copy and pasted 10000x times?

Amazing how these threads get hijacked.......reminds me of the arranging style in DCI these days. "Music for the short attention span theater crowd". Funny, JD Shaw did something similar with the Red Violin show....not very successful.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Discussion of Phantom Regiment 2016.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

People voiced their opinions about the corps missing their signature sound. Don's arrangements were thoroughly entertaining but did they lend themselves to that sound????? Could it have been the Jupiter brass? I'm not sure, but what I do see, by the corps, is an effort to regain the identity that so many people said went missing and that involves some risk.

He changed the center of sound for Regiment. It was a balanced sounds between high and low brass rather than low brass focused.

I hope Pitts isn't limited by Earnhart (who is the bigger musical issue).

I respect your optimism, bur for me, based on his writing for marching band a and the DCI level, I'm not sure this is the best choice that could have been made.

Rewind to when JD got the gig and I might have said the same, but this is now and that was JD Shaw.

Different people, different talents, can't compare.

Not bad for a saxophone player/pianist...

From Phantom's official announcement: Among those who have commissioned his work are University of North Texas, the Canadian Staff Band of the Salvation Army, Wake Forest University, Atlanta Youth Wind Symphony, Atlanta Trumpet Ensemble, Vega String Quartet, French hornist J.D. Shaw, tubist Christian Carichner and the Northwinds Symphonic Band.

Not bad for a saxophone player/pianist...

From Phantom's official announcement: Among those who have commissioned his work are University of North Texas, the Canadian Staff Band of the Salvation Army, Wake Forest University, Atlanta Youth Wind Symphony, Atlanta Trumpet Ensemble, Vega String Quartet, French hornist J.D. Shaw, tubist Christian Carichner and the Northwinds Symphonic Band.

ok

Hell yeah. The improvement this corps has shown on the brass side from the beginning of a season to the end in the past 2 years has been nothing short of incredible. Brass instruction is not something that is hurting Regiment right now.

I attribute a good deal of these seasonal improvements to Chris Carichner, the Regiment's Brass Caption Head. I hope that CC returns in "16 to work with Will.

• Like 4

Awesome to hear. I suggested a show for them next year as, more or less, a sequel called, A Million Skies. a beyond the light experience, but I guess you really can't go home again. I miss the Regiment so much though.

This is a note Myron Rosander sent me today on facebook.

He was suggesting this as a sequel for Into the Light.

What a wonderful concept!

Pay attention Regiment

• Like 1

I am THRILLED by both the Pitts announcement and the move back to King instruments. 2 very strong moves by Phantom that have great potential to bring back more of the Regiment identity that I for one have missed dreadfully since 2008 (apart from Elsa's in the Juliet show). Pitts has lived and breathed some of Phantom's greatest works since the 90s and understands what Regiment does best. From all accounts, he's young, talented, and will have "big boy" talented members to arrange for. And, this could be a very long term solution. Thanks for making both of these overdue changes!!! I'm excited again like I haven't been since JD left...

And now, how to get Rennick, Jamie & Adam back.... (evil grin) And yes, I don't think it's possible, but one can dream...

Harvey

• Like 3