Phantom Regiment 2016

New brass instruments have such a large impact on programming. :-)

I can confirm this :thumbs-up: that Regiment will be on Adams

Edited by swagaroo

I don't agree with OP who suggests that PR took a different approach for 2015 - "The Phantometts Go Shopping in Paris" was lighter (PUN intented!), but not a departure from what I consider to be vintage Phantom.

If PR wants to break from recent tradition, it's time to open up the guard, push the envelop with music, and change their branding to that of a more progressive drum corps.

Spartacus, sadly, is dead.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

dcfever,

I'm not sure what you mean by "open up the guard" but the 2016 audition info says guard auditions will be for female performers only. My sense of the Regiment's view of all-female vs. a combined female/male guard is that it has everything to do with the specific program. For example, I can't imagine "Faust" or "Spartacus 08" without males in the guard. I also can't imagine "City of Light" as requiring a male guard component (other than, perhaps, to carry the shopping bags). If I have misunderstood your meaning, let us know.

As a side note, Spartacus will live forever!

dcfever,

I'm not sure what you mean by "open up the guard" but the 2016 audition info says guard auditions will be for female performers only. My sense of the Regiment's view of all-female vs. a combined female/male guard is that it has everything to do with the specific program. For example, I can't imagine "Faust" or "Spartacus 08" without males in the guard. I also can't imagine "City of Light" as requiring a male guard component (other than, perhaps, to carry the shopping bags). If I have misunderstood your meaning, let us know.

As a side note, Spartacus will live forever!

I would disagree with this. I suspect we saw a male or males in the guard from 05 to 10 because of the effect that Adam Sage had. I'd say he wanted males in the guard, and the other designers concurred to expand programming horizons, so they did it. Once he and his influence were gone (and Rennick was gone - I'd say he had some influence on such a decision) after 2010, the corps went back to its old ways.

It could be argued that all of their shows since could easily have had a mixed guard, as the guard often interacted with members when a male counterpart was required (e.g., Juliet, Turandot).

I honestly don't mind their all girl guard. It gives them a specific look.

However - they do need to stop designing shows specifically around what "girls" could portray (Juliet, Asian Princess, Fairy Tale, Holly Go Lightly) and use the guard to portray the music or theme at an other level - not just around the idea that the theme is "female specific so our guard is all girls".

Later,

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89
  • Like 5

Disappointed that it's an all female guard again. It was nice in the 90's but programming has changed so much where 'roles' are very important in todays dci. Having an all female guard really limits them from a programming standpoint IMO. This may be one reason why their past few are very different from a concept, from still seem very very similar.

With a corps that struggles to break new ground, it's a shame they limit themselves in this manner.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

Disappointed that it's an all female guard again. It was nice in the 90's but programming has changed so much where 'roles' are very important in todays dci. Having an all female guard really limits them from a programming standpoint IMO. This may be one reason why their past few are very different from a concept, from still seem very very similar.

With a corps that struggles to break new ground, it's a shame they limit themselves in this manner.

I'd argue that it's not the composition of the guard that keeps them from breaking new ground...it's the composition of the guard writing. I was still waiting for them to do slams, etc. I don't think I've seen modern writing since Sage was there.

• Like 1

If PR wants to break from recent tradition, it's time to open up the guard, push the envelop with music, and change their branding to that of a more progressive drum corps.

Phantom's All Female Guard has not held them back at all. its been their strongest section of their Corps by far.

Not sure why we hear of the call for Phantom Regiment to " open up the Guard " when we don't hear this about the Cavaliers to " open up their Guard ". Cavaliers used to have terrific guards, so too Madison. Phantom's All Female Guard has topped these All Male Guards repeatedly these last few years. As such, while I'd like to see Phantom Regiment improve themselves in Show Design, Brass, Percussion, I hope they keep their All Female Guard, all Female. Its as unique and traditional as the Cavaliers, Madison Scouts All Male Guards. I love the Phantometts!

I would love to see PR tackle The Passion of Joan of Arc.

Perhaps the pinnacle of strong females and a great death to boot.

http://youtu.be/FU2qso0RaYg

Here's a small clip from the soundtrack. Things get interesting at the six minute mark.

Brian:

Love the music.. fits them well..strong theme. do you want another death theme?

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1