Phantom Regiment 2016

Now I may be completely wrong, but isn't BD's rifle line all male? I know it is a subset, but still germain. At least I think so.

Yep - BD the is the only co-ed guard where only males can be rifle and females can be sabres. If you ask me - it's no better or worse than an all male or all female guard.

It's more about the show design and technique than the gender.

Later,

Mike

• Like 2

Just to be clear, it is your opinion that organizations/teams/competitive activities need to be inclusive of both genders in order to "come into the 21st century"?

Yes... absolutely. Females should be able to try out even for the NBA, NHL, MLB, etc a matter of fact. Only their abilities should be evaluated for making teams, or not making teams,... not disbarred from even trying out by virtue of gender alone. Even the US Military has moved into the 21st century now. It hasn't hurt them in the least .

Edited by BRASSO

btw All Girls dci is a great history

Yes, the All Female Corps did have a fine history run. Some of them beat the All Male Corps as a matter of fact, and one of them came within 3 tenths of winning a National Championship vs. the All Male/ Coed Corps. But that history ended, and the All Female Corps concept ended, and today there is no such thing as an All Female Corps. There are Corps today that were once All Male but abandoned that archaic concept, a relic from the old past. I 'm ok if the only 2 Corps want to remain All Male...( the same as Phantom Regiment's choice to go All Female with their Guard). But having remaining vestiges of exclusionary gender based policies in the entire Corps itself is being stuck in the past, imo. There really is nothing progressive about such policies at all in my opinion.

Edited by BRASSO

Show Design is key.. no question about it. If the Show Design is a lemon, it doesn;t matter what the gender is of the Show Designer that put the lemon out on the field either.. Females won't be able to save a lemon put out on the field by Male Show Designers ( nor vice versa.. although all the DCI Show Designers in DCI are pretty much all Male still. )

Edited by BRASSO

Yep - BD the is the only co-ed guard where only males can be rifle and females can be sabres. If you ask me - it's no better or worse than an all male or all female guard.

Later,

Mike

I agree. It's a design choice, and I have no problem with the Phantomettes. In fact, I enjoy that they are all female. I think it makes them stand out a bit from the co-ed guards, and they hold their own competitively.

• Like 2

I agree. It's a design choice, and I have no problem with the Phantomettes. In fact, I enjoy that they are all female. I think it makes them stand out a bit from the co-ed guards, and they hold their own competitively.

It may be design choice of lately BUT there was much more to it when the change took place and it had nothing to do with going back to any roots. Maybe a small part but that's it.

Either way, corps are certainly free to dice up who marches where, design choice and male or female for a product. Guards are judged on ability.

Edited by GUARDLING

Yes. I like the Phantomettes too. Most fans at shows I've been to do as well. The fact that they are better each and every year now than the All Male Corps Guards is a tribute to their abilities too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

There is nothing wrong with an all female guard or any other configuration thereof. Let's be real, the elephant in the room everyone is tiptoeing around is that there are a few people out there that think someone's right to be a phantom guard member because they are male is being violated. It's silly and wrong thinking but there it is.

Where's the announcement for the adams brass?

I'm cautiously optimistic. If the line is near as good as their concert brass, it will be a very good thing.

The only connection I've found is an announcement on the Adams Marching Brass site that Chris Carichner, Brass Caption Head for the Regiment, signed recently with Adams.

On a related note, if Adams Marching Brass is the Regiment's choice for 2016, could the choice of John Adams' music for 2016 be far behind?

I love Phantom Regiment...and always will. That is all.