MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Momentary hijack but do the drum heads make that much of a difference in the sound? I've always wondered what made Phantom 1996's drumline sound so... Deep and heavy. Any insight?

Definitley. It's a pretty stark contrast.

Mylar vs Kevlar. Think they had Mylar. Also had premier percussion if I remember right.

Mylar has a lot more give than Kevlar. It's a more natural and deep sound compared to Kevlar which is much less forgiving. Here is a good blog post describing the two better than I could:

http://blog.steveweissmusic.net/05/marching-snare-drum-headskevlar-or-mylar/

Edited by DrumManTx

Some good new info on the Scouts Facebook page added today re. the 2016 show, along with glimpse of the Madison's Percussion section that looks and sounds good to my ears.

Scouts will utilize an electric guitarist for a portion of the show this season. ' Looking forward to that new twist from them too.

Some good new info on the Scouts Facebook page added today re. the 2016 show, along with glimpse of the Madison's Percussion section that looks and sounds good to my ears.

Scouts will utilize an electric guitarist for a portion of the show this season. ' Looking forward to that new twist from them too.

I thought Teal Sounds use was really unique and interesting back around 2010. They were ahead of their time in terms of front ensemble usage and instrumentation in terms of electronic stuff.

Should be cool, like to hear they're doing some exotic things. Excited to see this show.

• Like 1

Quintessential Madison way to bring electronic instrumentation into the show - bridging old and new. I dig it!

• Like 1

Haven't they been using mylars during camps and then switching at some point during everydays for the past couple of years?

Haven't they been using mylars during camps and then switching at some point during everydays for the past couple of years?

Yes and I don't understand why you would practice on Mylar for 5 Months, then switch to Kevlar. The 2 are very different & they play differently & technique changes from one to the other.

You can definitely hear it in this:

I'm really intrigued by what I'm hearing about this show, the more I hear the less I think it will be a retread/revival type show at all. I never really thought that in the first place, but it seems to be a pretty consistent reason for placing them lower in the predictions thread. Drums sounding really good, liking the pit book a lot too. Sounds great!

Some really great things happened last year as a result of some staff changes, excited to see if that improvement continues through to this year.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

ooh. looking forward to that even more now. Some nice swagger going on as they attack those parts.

Awesome Tapper!!!!

I speak for tens of thousands when I say, "I live in LA and I'm a Madison fan" I may even show up at rehearsal.....I can cook & serve 200 burgers, shoot out to the field for m&m, then back in time to cook taters and chicken. Too bad about the no girls thing but that's one of many quirks I love about the Scouts. Throw. Down hard in SoCal and add another few 1000 fans. Only corps Idve marched besides the ones I did are Madison and Crossmen - any corps that plays Mangione and Maynard aight with Tapper!
  • Like 1

I'm really intrigued by what I'm hearing about this show, the more I hear the less I think it will be a retread/revival type show at all. I never really thought that in the first place, but it seems to be a pretty consistent reason for placing them lower in the predictions thread. Drums sounding really good, liking the pit book a lot too. Sounds great!

I can assure you this show is not a rehash of 1999. 1999 was a lot "happier" show, I guess you could say. This JCSS is darker, intense, driving....there are some of the same tunes you'll recognize from 99, but they are arranged differently, placed differently. This show will rock the socks off the fans more than any recent Scouts production...and they've had some good ones lately. Mark my words....this is a show fans will be talking about for years to come.