Spirit of Atlanta

And back on topic....

Can someone bring me up to speed with what has happened exactly? I've read over the posts in this thread but not really getting what has happened in terms of did someone resign? Someone get fired? Read that 'It has been confirmed' and "It did happen" but don't see what it is that happened.

• Like 1

Is there anybody out there after all this that would seriously take the job. I am not in the know, just what I read here about the BOD's. I wonder what involvement the director has in the hiring of staff and show concept. If he did put any of the lesser performing staff members in place, will they be retained.

BOD is what caused Glassmen to fold. Learn the lesson quickly or else you go belly up.

It would probably be more appropriate to say the BOD's lack of action is what caused the corps to fold with the root cause being that bingo income dried up but I get your point. Organizations need competent people in charge.

Topic discussion cleaned up,

couple of things, folks:

- as always, sorry for the collateral damage. when you quote a bad post, it is far easier for the mods to remove the whole post and not just the imbedded quote, especially when so many people quote it.

- I appreciate everyone 'standing up' to a bad post, but if you just report it and move on, it will keep the discussion on track and out of the gutter, so to speak.

thanks all.

sad development for SoA, but hoping for better news today.

BOD is what caused Glassmen to fold. Learn the lesson quickly or else you go belly up.

Glassmen folded because they had an enormous debt, right?

Is that because the board gave the corps director too much power or too little? Did he spend way over the corps' means without the board reining him in? Or did he have great ideas about how the corps could make money that the board shot down?

• Like 1

In Indy this past week I was hearing rumors from BoD members of other corps about what was happening to/with Spirit.

That JW was still commuting from San Jose, California to Atlanta, GA seemed odd to many folks.

How was one to build local connections, they asked.

Is there anybody out there after all this that would seriously take the job. I am not in the know, just what I read here about the BOD's. I wonder what involvement the director has in the hiring of staff and show concept. If he did put any of the lesser performing staff members in place, will they be retained.

A Board of Directors fundamentally should make sure the mission statement, policies, protocols and procedures of an organization (as a whole) are kept and be "the" force in raising funds for the organization as the two top priorities; with raising funds (and budgetary matters) as the top priority of the two.

Anything beyond those areas is "stickin' one's nose where it don't belong".

Since typically a BOD hires a CEO; the CEO deals with the "day to day" and structures responsibilities flowing downward (from the CEO). Any structural deficiencies (real or perceived) should be reviewed by the BOD from the CEO down and remedied.

If a BOD does their fiduciary duties correctly without preconceived notions on what their role is or hidden agendas---things tend to operate smooth and professional.

**All that and 50 cents still only gets me a senior cup of coffee at the local McDonald's.

Glassmen folded because they had an enormous debt, right?

Is that because the board gave the corps director too much power or too little? Did he spend way over the corps' means without the board reining him in? Or did he have great ideas about how the corps could make money that the board shot down?

From things read on the alumni page when it went down was BOD let money be used on electronics and such but didn't have a way to make the money back since the bingo hall was closed. Then they hid the problems of the debt from the people and let people audition to then say we are bankrupt. The BOD would not communicate with alumni. I did not once get any news talking about the debt until someone posted saying the corps is folding. So Spirit alums knowing is a good start on keeping them alive next season. Also, once the Glassmen BOD were replaced the new ones that were supposed to fix things also weren't transparent. Alumni said they won't donate until they know what their money was going towards. Those same alumni are the ones trying to bring the corps back under the Glassmen Alumni Association

• Like 2