Spirit of Atlanta

They are in camp now, so they should be really ready by July 8.

The greatly delayed first show appearance doesn't have a great track record for helping competitively, though I am sure they have their reasons. Recent show recordings indicate they will need that time to get it together. Sigh.

https://www.facebook.com/spiritdrumcorps/?fref=ts

Their brass may be a bit more unrefined than other WC corps, but the sound they get from those Kanstul horns is amazing.

I'm sure it will get better. I hope. Edited by mjyaub

https://www.facebook.com/spiritdrumcorps/?fref=ts

Their brass may be a bit more unrefined than other WC corps, but the sound they get from those Kanstul horns is amazing.

I am confused. First, why are they rehearsing ensemble timing in the arc? Why does the rehearsal seem like such a downer? What comments are being made that will cause lasting change? Why would the staff ever have allowed this to be released publicly?

And sorry, shofman88, no, no they aren't getting an amazing sound from the Kanstuls, no.

As a previous poster stated, "sigh".

Edited by westcoastblue

I am confused. First, why are they rehearsing ensemble timing in the arc? Why does the rehearsal seem like such a downer? What comments are being made that will cause lasting change? Why would the staff ever allowed this to be released publicly?

And sorry, shofman88, no, no they aren't getting an amazing sound from the Kanstuls, no.

As a previous poster stated, "sigh".

Westcoastblue, I have noticed over the past few years that you are pretty critically blunt when it comes to Spirit. I do however most often generally agree with your perceptions though you are perhaps a bit crass. In this case, you are right on. I found the video(s) on their facebook page to be really disturbing. Though there isn't enough variety of the music being played to judge the arrangements, the rehearsal itself seems like it is from the 1980s, back when ensemble timing was often done in the arc. But even back then, the drums would have been behind the brass as they are often staged. I know that someone is going to post that those speaking on the mic are experts with tons of experience and know what they are doing, though I too am confused and don't get the purpose of these rehearsals or the posting of something that for me is clearly an example of why they have been struggling since 2013. I wish it different.

Edited by tigger2

Westcoastblue, I have noticed over the past few years that you are pretty critically blunt when it comes to Spirit. I do however most often generally agree with your perceptions though you are perhaps a bit crass. In this case, you are right on. I found the video(s) on their facebook page to be really disturbing. Though there isn't enough variety of the music being played to judge the arrangements, the rehearsal itself seems like it is from the 1980s, back when ensemble timing was often done in the arc. But even back then, the drums would have been behind the brass as they are often staged. I know that someone is going to post that those speaking on the mic are experts with tons of experience and know what they are doing, though I too am confused and don't get the purpose of these rehearsals or the posting of something that for me is clearly an example of why they have been struggling since 2013. I wish it different.

yeah, well, I just get tired of seeing corps make a legit comeback and then self implode due to dumb adult decisions. That is all. I have asked this a million times and cannot get an acceptable answer: where did that 2010-2013 staff go? why did they leave? why did the board let the most amazing thing the corps ever did since their fast rise in the early 80s just slip through their fingers? I guess it doesn't matter now.