The World's First and Only Bb Soprano Bugle

On 1/17/2017 at 7:15 AM, BoaDci said:

I havent.  I just do not like the people that make such a big deal about it.  Im sure its cool to hear a loud hornline playing in the stratosphere.  It frustrates me whenever a corp wins the title, and then people automatically compare it.  I looked at some of the comments on the BD retreat version of "When a Man Loves a Woman" and it just bother me to see how many people badmouth b flat instruments.  I mean...I appreciate what g bugles have brought to the activity, but the people who complain about them and then insult the hornlines of today...THAT bothers me.  Im not talking about the discussion in this thread, this thread has been fine, but it bothers me whenever others get mad all the time.  I do get it though, that it is hard to see such a strong change in the activity.

It's more than loudness. There are different overtones in play with the G bugles that aren't present with the current instruments. Make for a truly unique sound that is missing these days.

Anyway, this topic is a dead horse, beaten to death.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, corpsband said:

Two valves are for pansies.  Real men play the single valve with their right thumbs!  

"Valves for Pansies":

REAL men (and women) played "G" bugles with a single valve and a SLIDE for the chromatics!!!!!!!

I miss my Getzen deluxe bass bari.......:music:

Elphaba    :flower:

On 1/18/2017 at 2:01 PM, corpsband said:

Sure there were horn lines that played in tune on G's.  I don't think I've ever said otherwise.  Some teams had it all figured out.  

The point is...

Did you hear more horn lines play in tune on G bugles or Bb's ? (answer is bloody obvious)

The demographics of DCI have also shifted greatly since the late 90's, trending toward more serious musicians and Music Ed majors. Stark contrast to the prior decades where there were multiple corps in each state. That alone would count for the difference in intonation. Had much less to do with the horn.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, BigBadMadMan said:

The demographics of DCI have also shifted greatly since the late 90's, trending toward more serious musicians and Music Ed majors. Stark contrast to the prior decades where there were multiple corps in each state. That alone would count for the difference in intonation. Had much less to do with the horn.

I seem to remember there being plenty of music majors back in the late 80s; say 88 and onward.

On 1/22/2017 at 10:10 PM, jjeffeory said:

I seem to remember there being plenty of music majors back in the late 80s; say 88 and onward.

Should have said mid-90's or so, but I marched with a LOT of guys at Scouts that weren't music majors...same for Colts.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Should have said mid-90's or so, but I marched with a LOT of guys at Scouts that weren't music majors...same for Colts.

For sure. I was there 97-99 and we had some, but not nearly as many that are marching now.

I'd say each year, we probably have about 20-25, which is pretty low out of 128 people.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2017 at 9:41 PM, BigBadMadMan said:

Partially true.  Because of advances in better technologies, the brass instruments of today are far better constructed in aerodynamics, materials utilized, tubing construction, etc.   Proper intonation is both a function of the musical instrument's level of quality, as well as the level of musicianship quality of the person blowing air into the musical instrument. Also, the pitch of the instrument will automatically make the brass instrument different ( notice, I said " different ", not " better).  As such, a brass instrument pitched in the key of " G ", right from the outset, will by the laws of physics itself, sound different than a brass instrument pitched in a different key, for example, pitched by manufacturing at the factory in a Bb Key. The reason brass lines sounded " different " in earlier decades was because the instumentation was different than today.

Today in DCI, just about ALL the DCI units sound unlike one another even today for the simple reason that Corps are now utilizing far wider mix of instrumentations than ever before in DCI.. As such, when we talk about " proper intonation" today, we are just as apt to be discussing the vocal chords emission of air. For example, some of the current singers used by Corps as soloists were FAR worse in their " intonation" issues than any brass soloists I can remember from BITD. While some of the singers " intonation " is quite good, more than a couple of Corps utilized singers that frankly appeared to my ears to be singing way off key, and a bit flat in their pitch and intonation with their solos.

Edited by BRASSO

On 1/22/2017 at 11:10 PM, jjeffeory said:

There were more " Music Majors " doing Drum Corps prior to DCI , than " Music Majors " doing DCI today.

The sheer volume of a few thousand more Corps in existence back then, makes this statement true.

So its true, that there were both more talented musicians and less talented musicians doing Drum Corps BITD than in DCI today. Again, the Law of Large Numbers ( a physics/ mathmatical phrase ) makes this statement as well to be undeniably true.

Edited by BRASSO