The World's First and Only Bb Soprano Bugle

I am not a fan of g bugles.  People make such a ridiculous deal about how loud they were....HOWEVER, if these bugles really slot better, keep the high range and have consistent volume, I would love to see them in DCI.  I want to see a full DCI hornline march them, my guess is the first to do it if it happens will be Madison.  I think this is great for the activity, and I would love for these to horns in a few years.

9 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

I am not a fan of g bugles.  People make such a ridiculous deal about how loud they were....HOWEVER, if these bugles really slot better, keep the high range and have consistent volume, I would love to see them in DCI.  I want to see a full DCI hornline march them, my guess is the first to do it if it happens will be Madison.  I think this is great for the activity, and I would love for these to horns in a few years.

There is a HUGE difference IMO...as I played on one...I'm just curious...have you heard a world-class line LIVE on them?...Anyway...We are talking about a B-flat version here...that version is untested by a world-class corps in competition...I think two open-class corps and several marching bands have used them...but no one to my knowledge has yet to try the B-flat soprano in world-class yet...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BoaDci said:

What is your rationale for not liking them?

I assume you never experienced a performance with a corps using G bugles, if you had, you would not feel that people are being ridiculous.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

What is your rationale for not liking them?

I assume you never experienced a performance with a corps using G bugles, if you had, you would not feel that people are being ridiculous.

I havent.  I just do not like the people that make such a big deal about it.  Im sure its cool to hear a loud hornline playing in the stratosphere.  It frustrates me whenever a corp wins the title, and then people automatically compare it.  I looked at some of the comments on the BD retreat version of "When a Man Loves a Woman" and it just bother me to see how many people badmouth b flat instruments.  I mean...I appreciate what g bugles have brought to the activity, but the people who complain about them and then insult the hornlines of today...THAT bothers me.  Im not talking about the discussion in this thread, this thread has been fine, but it bothers me whenever others get mad all the time.  I do get it though, that it is hard to see such a strong change in the activity.

Edited by BoaDci

27 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

G bugles I believe.

Yep... last I heard, they were still using two-valve G-keyed instruments.

Don't know if that's changed since Brian Dix retired as music director.

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

Im sure its cool to hear a loud hornline playing in the stratosphere. 

You don't know the power of the G side.

When you can go back in time and experience, say 88 Madison ripping your face off with "Malaguena," you can do a proper comparison.