Loudest chord of 2015?

Not sure if anyone brought a decibel meter to finals this year as in years past, but what do you remember as being the loudest brass chord in a show this season? As far as I can tell it's in Crown's show (surprise) in Dies Irae, right before the section with the chromatic runs. It's one of those "oh right, that's what a drum corps can sound like" when you hear it live (4:13 in this video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfGXJS9GfSk

Any louder this year you can think of? (Maybe Blue Devils at some point in their ballad.)

Not sure if anyone brought a decibel meter to finals this year as in years past, but what do you remember as being the loudest brass chord in a show this season? As far as I can tell it's in Crown's show (surprise) in Dies Irae, right before the section with the chromatic runs. It's one of those "oh right, that's what a drum corps can sound like" when you hear it live (4:13 in this video).

This one smacked in the face each time I saw it live. There were other spots in their show that were intentionally loud, but this one stuck out. There was a spot in the blue devil's final that actually caused by 13-year-old to jump, but I don't remember where it was.

• Like 1

" the loudest chord for 2015 " was the Boston Crusaders vocalist, imo. You could hear her thundering voice chord over the 72 BAC brass in the closer as a matter of fact.

This one smacked in the face each time I saw it live. There were other spots in their show that were intentionally loud, but this one stuck out. There was a spot in the blue devil's final that actually caused by 13-year-old to jump, but I don't remember where it was.

I'm sure it was the big chord after the silence, right where Clara came out. Great moment. Was chatting with the head of the Marine Drum Corps (a BD alumnus) on Friday night, and he likened that chord to a physical impact to his body. It was a great moment. Crown was very loud, and I know Matt Harloff worked very hard with them on bringing the heat. SCV had some loud moments too, somewhat due to staging though. It's hard to decide...loudness, volume, decibels? The EQ of Crown to BD to SCV really makes it hard to determine. Perhaps from a naked-ear standpoint, I'd say BD and Crown almost tied. With a decibel meter, probably BD due to the more bottom-heavy nature of the sound. Hell, I enjoyed them all. Always an adamant fan of loud horn lines!!! :silly: :silly: :silly:

Perhaps from a naked-ear standpoint, I'd say BD and Crown almost tied. With a decibel meter, probably BD due to the more bottom-heavy nature of the sound.

I'm not used to seeing BD's brass being described as more "bottom-heavy" than other corps--and even with their low brass more prominent this year than in most recent years, that still doesn't seem correct.

• Like 2

I'm not used to seeing BD's brass being described as more "bottom-heavy" than other corps--and even with their low brass more prominent this year than in most recent years, that still doesn't seem correct.

I said "more" bottom heavy...I'd say they have a fairly balanced sound, but for me, their trumpets don't cut through like the old days and the K-20 sops. The Yamaha lines in general have a little brighter (Bb-ish, if you will) sound. Neither one better or worse than the other, just different. The Yamaha sound works extremely well for Crown and their style, just as the System Blue with BD's book.

" the loudest chord for 2015 " was the Boston Crusaders vocalist, imo. You could hear her thundering voice chord over the 72 BAC brass in the closer as a matter of fact.

How can a single vocalist sing a chord? :silly: