Epiphany: Phantom should do New World in 2016!

Well, the New World Symphony is certainly in the public domain.

Although I think there's more than enough other good 1893 music that's never been played in drum corps, and certainly more than enough other good music by Dvořák that's never been played in drum corps, to fill several fine shows.

(Well, this is an interesting find as I scan various lists of 1890s music: although I vaguely knew that the regular DCP contributor named "hostrauser" was a fan of marches, I had no idea that there was an 1890 piece by William Paris Chambers called "Hostrauser's March". Which, so Corpsreps indicates, was performed three times by Florida Wave in the 1960s. I saw that corps play just once, at the very first show I ever attended, in 1989, where they placed sixth with a score of 78.1, a point-and-a-half back of Boston Crusaders.)

Video of James playing Carnival of Venice on a G baritone... WOW!!!!!

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=209938482

The I&E sop champ couldn't even score the solo? or did Tim not compete in I&E?

I don't think Tim did. James played much better at I&E, we had no idea this concert thing was going to happen. we had spent most of Wednesday in brass ensemble, so we were all pretty gassed by the time he had to play.

I don't think Tim did. James played much better at I&E, we had no idea this concert thing was going to happen. we had spent most of Wednesday in brass ensemble, so we were all pretty gassed by the time he had to play.

So they just sprang that on everyone???? Wow...

So they just sprang that on everyone???? Wow...

I don't know about everyone, but we had no idea. We were getting ready to do a full uniform run through when they came and told us we had to go. ( I was in the brass ensemble that won that year.)

Nah. Phantom 1989 is a classic. Don't want to ruin it. Spartacus was not a classic.

Are you serious?

As a fan of Phantom, it's bizarre to see those words from you.

Talk to people that have followed Regiment closely, I'm sure they'd disagree on its classic status.

• Like 1

I was thinking about Phantom 1989 last night, wondering why Phantom hasn't revisted New World Symphony yet (since revisting their popular shows from the 80s has proven successful at least once before). For kicks, I did some math. 2008 (Spartacus) minus 1981 (Spartacus) equals 27 years. And 2016 minus 1989 (New World Symphony) also equals 27 years.

Fine, the 27 years part is meaningless, but I'd still love to see Phantom's New World Symphony make a comeback. What say you DCP?

Well, they COULD call the show "The Power of 27" and form a bunch of XXVII forms on the field.

And if the do this...they could use a certain ballad by a certain corps with that number in their name as part of the show. :tounge2:

• Like 2

Are you serious?

As a fan of Phantom, it's bizarre to see those words from you.

Talk to people that have followed Regiment closely, I'm sure they'd disagree on its classic status.

I'm talking about the original take on Spartacus, not the 2008 version.

Then again, next season is Phantom's 50th anniversary.

Will their pre-show be Anderson's "Phantom Regiment" after whom the current corps is named?

(Yes, I know the original name was the Rockford Rangers.)

Doesn't their conductor also age-out next season too? Whatever they choose, he'll be flapping those wings quicker than a wind mill!

Edited by xandandl

I've joked it's the last Classic not redone. Not sure I want it though. But given the minder, if they do, no ride patterns in the ballad please

• Like 6

I've joked it's the last Classic not redone. Not sure I want it though. But given the minder, if they do, no ride patterns in the ballad please

That part was pretty awful, wasn't it?