A Modest Proposal, Part 1: Carolina Crown Wins in 2015

I can't even imagine the outrage if DCI adopted your system in 2008.

Indeed. The results would have been:

1. 97.842 Blue Devils

2. 97.458 Phantom Regiment

3. 97.292 Cavaliers

And the same by ordinals:

1. Blue Devils (1+1+2=4)

2. Phantom Regiment (3+2+1=6)

3. Cavaliers (2+3+3=8)

The system has worked for over 60 years... 1 contest, 1 night, 1 (sometimes 2) winners. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

• Like 2

1. giving a caption award for a three day average is already in itself, absolutely ridiculous.

2. giving a trophy of any kind for an average is just silly. even if you're comparing apples and forks arranged in an artistic manner.

3. can we please move on from this season?

4. no ####. seriously. move the eff on.

• Like 3

1. giving a caption award for a three day average is already in itself, absolutely ridiculous.

2. giving a trophy of any kind for an average is just silly. even if you're comparing apples and forks arranged in an artistic manner.

3. can we please move on from this season?

4. no ####. seriously. move the eff on.

It's the offseason. There isn't really that much to discuss. Simmer down Francis.

• Like 1

Anybody have the prelim, semi and finals scores for 1988? I'd be very curious to know how those would shake out. (I'm aware of corpsreps.com, but I don't believe they have scores other than finals.)

I'd be curious about the years when there were ties and placement flips from night to night too.

It's the offseason. There isn't really that much to discuss. Simmer down Francis.

really, if you cracked open the rulebook there's all sorts of stuff to discuss. The Cavs have new leadership, discuss. What is the average rate of an under 21 member of C2 getting into C1? If you marched in the 60's, 70s, 80s, 90s,00s what were your dues... and what did you get for those dues as compared to the $2K-$4K being charged to students now? Trump actually is the GOP leader right now... wtf? If the top 12 were a muppet, which muppet would they be and why?

The first is that the Founder's Trophy should be awarded to the corps with the highest average score as a result of averaging their respective scores from all 3 days of competition. This is the fair basis for the awarding the Angelica, Brazale, Ott, Sanford and Zingali caption winners and, arguably, should be the basis for the Founder's Trophy as well.

If applied, the top 5 average scores would be 1. 96.775 Carolina Crown, 2. 96.542 Blue Devils, 3. 95.975 Bluecoats, 4. 95.625 The Cadets and 5. 93.525 SCV.

Yay how awesome! Tweak the system to keep BD from winning lol. We can all get behind this lol. Except i wonder how Bluecoats fans feel about this considering if we did this in 2014, Cadets would have taken the Silver medal.

really, if you cracked open the rulebook there's all sorts of stuff to discuss. The Cavs have new leadership, discuss. What is the average rate of an under 21 member of C2 getting into C1? If you marched in the 60's, 70s, 80s, 90s,00s what were your dues... and what did you get for those dues as compared to the $2K-$4K being charged to students now? Trump actually is the GOP leader right now... wtf? If the top 12 were a muppet, which muppet would they be and why?

1. Good idea

2. There is a topic for that already. No one chose to discuss it

3. Who knows? Maybe you should research, find out, and let us know.

4. Another good idea. I'm sure garfield would have great insight into that. Go ahead and make it a topic.

5. Irrelevant to DCP, has derailed enough topics.

6. Yes, very insightful and SO much better than discussing actual drum corps, hmm?

I assure you, there is PLENTY of space on DCP for us to discuss almost everything you mentioned PLUS this topic.

Edited by Cappybara

Anybody have the prelim, semi and finals scores for 1988? I'd be very curious to know how those would shake out. (I'm aware of corpsreps.com, but I don't believe they have scores other than finals.)

I'd be curious about the years when there were ties and placement flips from night to night too.

in 88, the top 3 ( and several others) only had semis and finals....so it would be:

Madison 97.45

SCV 96.6

BD 96.45

Madison won semis by 1.2 over BD and 1.5 over SCV

That suggests an alternate proposal for DCI: total the three nights but weight them separately. For instance:

25% -- Prelims

30% -- Semis

45% -- Finals

I don't expect it will ever happen, but what would be wrong with that?

For one thing, some corps might perform a "safe" show on Saturday, if they determine that they have no realistic chance of advancing their placement. That would cheapen the value of the Saturday night show to the point where sales would be affected.

• Like 1