A Modest Proposal, Part 1: Carolina Crown Wins in 2015

The devil in the details with the current system. It forces staffs in a philosophical decision the last couple weeks of the season. If you are close enough for sniff a caption win but not quite there for the overall win do you max out everything to showcase that caption or tuck away the ego and maximize the overall show? Blue Devils appear to take the approach of getting strong enough in each caption to minimize any weakness and maximize the overall show. If they win a caption then great but it is the big one they are gunning for.

A reconstruction of the 2015 DCI World Class Championship's 3 days of competition results in Carolina Crown winning the Founder's Trophy.

I have 2 theses in support of Crown's victory.

The first is that the Founder's Trophy should be awarded to the corps with the highest average score as a result of averaging their respective scores from all 3 days of competition. This is the fair basis for the awarding the Angelica, Brazale, Ott, Sanford and Zingali caption winners and, arguably, should be the basis for the Founder's Trophy as well.

If applied, the top 5 average scores would be 1. 96.775 Carolina Crown, 2. 96.542 Blue Devils, 3. 95.975 Bluecoats, 4. 95.625 The Cadets and 5. 93.525 SCV.

Parenthetically, if Los Diablos had not incurred the 0.50 penalty in the Prelims, the reconstructed order be the same but BD's average would be 96.708.

The second thesis is that the Ordinal for each corps' placement during each of the 3 days of competition should be a confirming factor in determining the champion, with the lowest aggregated ordinal winning the championship.

If applied, the top 5 would be First : Carolina Crown (4), Second : Blue Devils (7), Third : Bluecoats (9), Fourth : The Cadets (10) and Fifth : SCV (15).

Also, common sense should dictate that a corps such as Carolina Crown, which finished first, first and second, respectively, in Prelims, Semis and Finals should be accorded the edge over a corps, the Blue Devils, which finished fourth, second and first ( or if the 0.50 penalty is ignored, second, second and first ).

Hail Crown!

Now, onto A Modest Proposal, Part 2 : The Cadets Win the Fred Sanford Best Percussion Award in 2015.

How about they just sit down after finals and before the awards, ring you up and ask you who you think should win, and adjust the system to yield the results you want? Yeah, that would work... :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

• Like 1

Now, onto A Modest Proposal, Part 2 : The Cadets Win the Fred Sanford Best Percussion Award in 2015.

Uhhhh...using your 'system', Blue Devils won percussion. Using the 'finals only' approach, Blue Devils won percussion. Oh my, what to do? :wow: :wow: :wow:

Uhhhh . . . using your 'system', Blue Devils won percussion. Using the 'finals only' approach, Blue Devils won percussion. Oh my, what to do? :wow: :wow: :wow:

Well, "what to do" would be to actually read what he wrote in the other "modest proposal" thread.

Well, there HAS to be a way we can ensure that Crown wins championships. Average the last three shows. Maybe average the entire season. Give BD an automatic -2 point handicap... better make it -3 just to be safe. Play a Dr. Beat real close to BD during warmup every night. Make BD go on first. Let the air out of their tires. Send Scott Johnson to Fort Mill. Whatever it takes, make it happen. That is my "modest" proposal.

</sarcasm>

Edited by Overhype
  • Like 3

Treat your members with respect. Have fun on tour. Explore interesting show designs and music. Hire really cool staff members whom the corps loves. Then after word gets around that it's a really drum corps to be in.

Never mind... just start a petition and whine all off season like you always do.

• Like 1

What is it about the concept of "Finals" that people don't understand or accept anymore?

I guess it can all be blamed on Duane Thomas, Running Back for the Dallas Cowboys in the 1970's. When interviewed by CBS "reporter" Tom Brookshier at the time of the upcoming Super Bowl (and Brookshier was, himself, a former player in the NFL. RB or DB for the Eagles, I believe...), and when asked "How does it feel to go into the ultimate game?", Thomas responded "If this is going to be the ultimate game....then why are they going to play it again next year?"

If nothing else, I think that Thomas already foresaw the hypocrisy with which we, as an "advanced" society, perceived the apparent attainment of ultimate glory which we, as that society, were already attaching to individual accomplishments.

In the end, the champion of an individual year is THE champion of that individual year. It doesn't mean that they are the "best of all time"...not does it confer upon them the status of "the best that shall ever be." One year....that year alone...period. And in the case of DCI. that year...and for that day.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Never mind... just start a petition and whine all off season like you always do.

Who are you even talking to?

This is like the third or fourth time at least you have tried to bring the petition back into the conversation. Did someone here start it? Did a bunch of people here say they supported it?

Or are you just desperate to pick a fight here because you got kicked off of Facebook or something?

• Like 1

I THINK The Cadets were "screwed" in drums in both 1993 and 1994 -- I thought they won the average in 1993 but it was finals-only winner (Star), and they won finals in 1994 but it was average winner (BD).

I think you're right about 1993; IIRC Cadets percussion won Quarters & Semis in percussion, but a less-than-perfect run Finals night opened the door for Star to step in & win the Percussion trophy

I think you're right about 1993; IIRC Cadets percussion won Quarters & Semis in percussion, but a less-than-perfect run Finals night opened the door for Star to step in & win the Percussion trophy

Quarters in '93 was actually higher than semis or finals, even though Star beat them in Perc GE that night. The lower their scores got Friday and Saturday in execution, the higher they went in GE, leading a perfect 10 in Perc GE Saturday night. So, dirt = GE???