DCA '15, 35 corps, great performances, not-so-great attendance

We need better print and radio advertising in contest host cities, as well as making some videos clips available to local news sources. Additionally, each advertising campaign tied to a local contest should also be linked to DCA weekend. Finally, we need to support the host city by providing advertising kits for use on mass transit, local shop windows, and 8 1/2 x 11 "Things to do in Rochester" flyers for the lobby of all hotels. And we need to keep the price reasonable. THIS CAN BE DONE.

I do think some of this can be done at reasonable costs. Advertising on mass transit, most likely not. While I am not exactly sure exactly what it takes in upstate NY, over at NJT it is not only expensive, but also very difficult. I realize the greater Rochester area is a much smaller zone by comparison, but I think you would have to still manage to have an 'in' with the company to even try to do so without breaking the budget.

I think that the advertising of ANY DCA show (in any city) should start with the school districts in the area that have a marching band program. Especially, the schools that are used as a practice site. What a great hook for a young musician, "come on out to YOUR school and watch a drum corps practice!". Once the hook is set, that's got to result in some amount of additional ticket sales at the stadium.

• Like 4

When have you seen a DCI ad locally? Ever. Or a DCI ad on a bus? Ever. You saw one when you got to the event. Great. You were already there.

There is a media savvy that the younger gen "gets" and they are hyped and enthusiastic or they generate the hype and enthusiasm. They know how to create get-togethers. 24,000 went to DCI. That's a get together. 1,200 watched a Cavaliers practice...that's a big crowd that kept growing as the kids kept texting each other..."yo, come to the high school, dude....the Cavaliers are here."

How many people ever went to DCA because of an ad in the times? Three?

People go because of word of mouth....(MOUTH! Trust me, we have PLENTY of those!).....and a direct invitation...and buzz.

It's not about radio and tv. Its about making it a good enough prospect that your people tell my people.

The band kids trade videos and hype items all summer long. They know dci is coming to town because they HEARD it, then went to DCI.org and FOUND OUT THE DETAILS....easy.

I rooted for the Sunrisers to make finals this year. Why? Because Dave Hobart made sure I did. He was non-stop with the updates and enthusiasm and pretty soon, I felt like part of the team. I didnt make it to DCA but sure as hell knew about the fundraiser contest between Bush and Sun.

Just ike I knew about the SAVE THE BUSHWACKERS campaign a few years ago. Word of mouth started it, word of mouth kept it going....goals were met and people are now on the list as PART OF THE TEAM. Do they get me for a donation now every year? OF COURSE!!! They reach out with a thank you and an "oh by the way" which is WELCOMED...and I get invited to steak dinners and people's houses and and and...all because I sent out an envelope and a few emails.

Organic is the way. Freakin strangers see an ad on the side of a bus and go, "what's drum corps?".

Our family is bigger than 4000 people! Our family needs to know they are invited! CALL SOMEONE!!!! POST SOMETHING! BE POSITIVE AND ENTHUSIASTIC!

"DCA" isnt the solution. Some vague comments about advertising isnt the solution. A pseudo professional, armchair balance sheet analysis isnt the solution.

WE ARE THE SOLUTION!

Edited by wishbonecav

Not sure the group gets it. It isnt about the bid city or the hotel rooms when the event can be held in Rochester, NY and the people in Rochester, NY are unaware that it is being held.

I agree - that sounds like there is a serious lack of human resources for DCA marketing.

For that matter, I just received an e-mail from DCI that had more news reporting on DCA Championships than can be found on the entire array of DCA-hosted web interfaces.

• Like 1

they claim 3500. the crowd didn't look that big, and it was done raining well over an hour before the show, and was nice most of the day

3500?

Not too shabby for a 6 corps show . Just sayin.

Only found out about DCA because my school hosted a corps finals weekend for a few years. Said corps let some of the band (myself included) help move the pit equipment they borrowed from us on and off the field. Most of the kids who helped went on to march later on.

• Like 1

3500?

Not too shabby for a 6 corps show . Just sayin.

Also hurt to have the massive, after work, block party downtown Friday night rained out. Carolina Gold was set to perform, restaurants offering Happy Hour sidewalk specials, live radio broadcast from the scene, and prize giveaways. I was pleased with the result the event did have. It was made special in that it was NOT a drum corps audience. There were high school band groups sitting together, and what appeared to be a decent amount of curious locals. Darn shame all around. Oh, well. Appears Carolina Crown's NightBEAT might have found a new home in W-S.

Just had occasion to communicate with an industry colleague in Rochester on a business matter and mentioned I'd been in her city last weekend, and why I was there.

She replied, "I had no idea there was a drum corps event here! I probably would have gone--that's fun!"

Glen Paisley still around? ... he ran the last one in Allentown in 99 ... was with the Chieftains at the time ... now you've got Sky and C2 operating out of there ... like others have said ... too much competition for hotel rooms going on that weekend ... and hotel givebacks are a BIG (did I say BIG?) part of the bid ... start with the Chamber of Commerce to see when the last bid was put in ... and check with DCI East show folks for local political contacts ...

:-)

Sky isn't exactly Lehigh valley