Blog Posts are Killing DCA, not the Reading Buccaneers

Everyone looks back at the 70/80's I think with a touch too much nostalgia. I had a great time, but there were things that happened that P****ed me off back then with problem drinking and drug use. Certain folks were excised from Westshore for that, some at the instigation of other corps members. One friend, I can think of by their parents. For the record, yes, I did some goofy stuff, but after watching several corps-mates get out of control and make total a-double-esses of themselves early on, I didn't think it was the smart thing to do nor the right thing.

The one thing Dan can say is this to anyone who starts going in that negative direction about CV:

You can't be a top 5 DCA corps anymore pulling that kind of crap. Truthfully, you do that now- you won't beat anyone in Open Class, period. You'd also be a pretty big joke and not respected by everyone else. You couldn't do this activity blazed or wasted in 1979 to 1984 when I marched (Sorry, won't hear arguments you could, prolly because I beat your corps :tounge2: ...) you definitely can't do that now.

Ironically, the one area of the activity that does have these problems in spades is the aspect that the "common folks" so love... the Collegiate end of this. You're not seeing anyone in DCA or DCI beating their Drum Majors to death in a hazing incident or getting 2 dozen page reports written up about endemic issues within the organization with hazing/sexual harassment/soonandsoforth that the Tidbitters at OSU ended up with and then tried to do a lame spin and damage control campaign on DCP after it happened, totally to my disgust. I haven't gone there with the usual drinking spates that accompany most of the bands when they go to bowl games or on road trips. But, I guess that's okay since it's associated with everyone's fave sport and college teams and everyone likes the dancers, loud drony, blatty pop tunes, and drill with a guy kicking a football.

This rant brought to you by the Letter K for Kappa Kappa Psi, which I wish more of my brothers would speak up more about this kind of crap in their college bands... the letter B for Beer, which I did learn to drink in corps but also learned to drink in moderation and not make a bigger idiot out of myself than I already was when sober :satisfied: .... and the letter N for nostalgia, which is a nice thing when not overrated. :satisfied:

More later. Work calls, I just felt this mini-rant coming for 2 days... :satisfied:

:ninja:

Ab-sa-tive-ly on point "W"!!!!!

I noticed a similar (however painful) realization in about that same time frame here. I remember getting royally reamed by the drill writer about performing "while buzzed" at a 4th of July show. And it wasn't due to my marching - He decided to give me crap about being out of tune on my horn.

Of course, I thought he was full of it... until he played me the GE tape - OUCH!!!! It was pretty sad!! I made up my mind that it was too difficult to "walk and chew gum" while buzzed.. especially while playing mellophone.

You ever notice that it'll take something like that kind of embarrassment to snap someone out of "questionable" behavior?

I am one of those! Prior to that - the "simultaneous responsibility" wasn't on the sheets (so to speak) :tounge2:

Pat

wait W...I could have beaten my rookie in 96? lord knows he deserved it once or twice LOL

PFFFF! Good googly-moogly, Jeff. As much as we might want to smack some people around sometimes, the fact is they're not as replaceable during the season as much as they used to be. We gotta teach 'em up... :tounge2:

you've met Axe right?

LOL

• Like 3

... you may have been normal when you joined, but when you left.... :wacko: