Interview of Nicholas Blasewitz - Kiltie Tympanist - Questions

Bill_VA

I am working on setting up an interview with Nick Blasewitz who is the sight challenged tympani player with the Kilties these past three seasons. I have some basic questions already worked out, but since this will be in a DCW article, I was hoping to find out what you would like to know about this remarkable young man? I see this as an opportunity to explore other aspects of our activity through others who may have a unique perspective. I did an interview back in 2003 down in Florida for the Open-Class DCI Championships with the tympani player named Allee Davis who was with Court of Honor out of Atlanta, GA. She was a remarkable young lady and had an interesting back story to tell. Interesting to note that she almost became a Kilties member herself back in 2005. Anyway, this is a great opportunity for you to give me questions that you would find interesting to read about people who experience drum corps from a different perspective. :cool:

Thanks to all who contribute!

• Like 1

Only DC related question I can think of is how does Nick know when the DM starts a song. For that matter , DMs usually give a four count before the corps plays so the corps can get the rhythm so how is Nick able to do this.

On a side note we PayPal'ed some sponsor money to Allee and got a great email in response few years back. Being an IT person I wondered what software she uses to "read" from the computer but felt it was too personal question to ask. Too bad she doesn't post on DCP anymore....

Is Nick relying only on his ears to tune the Tymps or does he have any special electronic gizmos to assist him?

How much help does he require to make certain his pedals and heads are set up as he prefers?

I'm asking because I encounter more folks in the activity who are differently abled and knowledge of solutions to these obstacles can be so, so helpful to others.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to finalize my questions to Nick. Is there anything someone might like to read about regarding his tenure with the Kilties, his tympani playing, sight challenges that need to be addressed, etc. Let me know very soon.

Thanks!

~Bill

• 1 month later...

Finished my articles on Nick Blasewitz. Here is the link:

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/Magazines/nov_2015/mobile/index.html#p=30

Check it out and let me know what you think.

• Like 2

Finished my articles on Nick Blasewitz. Here is the link:

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/Magazines/nov_2015/mobile/index.html#p=30

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Very nice. I judged a lot of HS band competitions in the 80's and 90's, and I recall one band in CT had a sight-challenged pit player...ended up as their timpanist...who did a marvelous job. I watched him all of his years with the HS band.

• Like 1

Thanks MakeD, I am glad you liked to article. He is actually the second blind timpanist I interviewed. Back in 2003 when DCI was in Florida, I interviewed a very talented young lady name Alee Davis who was the timpanist for "Court of Honor" an Open Class corps out of Atlanta, GA. She was so nice and very easy to talk with and like Nick, she is proud of who she is, blind and all, and she has no issues discussing her life's challenges and her dreams. What was weird, she too wanted to march with the Kilties several years ago but the transportation and housing was too difficult. Such a small world we live in!

Edited by Bill_VA

Thanks MakeD, I am glad you liked to article. He is actually the second blind timpanist I interviewed. Back in 2003 when DCI was in Florida, I interviewed a very talented young lady name Alee Davis who was the timpanist for "Court of Honor" an Open Class corps out of Atlanta, GA. She was so nice and very easy to talk with and like Nick, she is proud of who she is, blind and all, and she has no issues discussing her life's challenges and her dreams. What was weird, she too wanted to march with the Kilties several years ago but the transportation and housing was too difficult. Such a small world we live in!

I think she used to post here.