1 audition, 2 audition, 3 audition, more?

As I understand the typical try-out processes these days, many corps offer "clinics" beginning in October as a way to introduce potential interested rookies to what the drum corps life is all about.

Then "Camps" begin in November, one in December, and then call-backs are in January where final lines are set.

November and December camps are open to the public but January is usually by invitation only.

November and December are either/and/or, meaning one can attend either or both. So my tactical question is:

Is there any benefit to a rookie attending both November and December? Does a second read from staff help increase the odds of a January call-back? If it cost, say, $500 to make it to the Nov & Dec camps, is a second read worth it then?

As I understand the typical try-out processes these days, many corps offer "clinics" beginning in October as a way to introduce potential interested rookies to what the drum corps life is all about.

Then "Camps" begin in November, one in December, and then call-backs are in January where final lines are set.

November and December camps are open to the public but January is usually by invitation only.

November and December are either/and/or, meaning one can attend either or both. So my tactical question is:

Is there any benefit to a rookie attending both November and December? Does a second read from staff help increase the odds of a January call-back? If it cost, say, $500 to make it to the Nov & Dec camps, is a second read worth it then?

Well i can tell you 1st hand it shows you're serious . especially if you are looking to stand out among hundreds. Necessary? No unless a corps requires it.

There's also the question of how many are trying out for a given section, how many are needed, what an individual 's talent is, etc etc and YES ability to pay!

Edited by GUARDLING

1. Depends on the corps, as the practices of audition camps vary save for the one on one, or one before several actual plerforming in front of the faculty member(s) .

Even within the same corps, the actual process may vary depending on whether it is a home base camp (like Coats in Canton, Cadets in Jersey, Cavies in Rosemont) or an outlier special edition audition as when Coats/Cavies/Cadets each schedule a one day event in Texas or Georgia or California or Timbucktoo.

2. Remember for most corps more than just playing ability is being assessed (knowingly and sometimes not so publicly.) How does the auditioner follow directions, get along with other members, listen and respond to faculty, seem prepared for music and demands of living with 200 other people? For these assessments, some corps use the insights (and judgments) of corps officers, section leaders, and veterans to answer the question: will this person fit in or will this person be a problem on tour?

3. Many corps use the auditioning camps to introduce the corps to parade music and such as a tool to blend the vets and wannabees. Instruction by faculty may vary between first camp and second; student will benefit from opportunity at both. Some corps use second camp as a measure of how much wannabees have improved since first attempt. Some corps don't have call-backs as such but rather keep pushing the wannabee until the person is obviously a member or cuts themselves. (Poor English, I know, but you understand.)

4. if the price is doable, the more camps the better for the new comer to belong, fit in and advance. Talk with recent veterans of the corps one wishes to join. With new faculty each year, what was done last November may not be the way it is being done this season...even for vets.

Just a note, Garf.

Because of the high attendance at Nov. and Dec. camps last year, the use of Smart-music program, and between camps sub-sectionals midis and follow up by sub-section leaders, at least one of the top four corps last season had learned 85 per cent of their show music by the end of January.

Again, results my vary by corps due to talent, readiness of faculty and show design, retention rate, weather factors, etc. And another winning corps has been known traditionally to dragoon their members to live locally by Feb./March. Newbies better be sure they fit in and like the internal organization and show, etc. Just saying...

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

And another winning corps has been known traditionally to dragoon their members to live locally by Feb./March. Newbies better be sure they fit in and like the internal organization and show, etc. Just saying...

So, if I'm not local, and I'm a college student, I not only have to pony up $3k or more, I have to tell my parents that I'm blowing off a semester of school to march? JMHO, but that's insane.

• Like 3

Again, results my vary by corps due to talent, readiness of faculty and show design, retention rate, weather factors, etc. And another winning corps has been known traditionally to dragoon their members to live locally by Feb./March. Newbies better be sure they fit in and like the internal organization and show, etc. Just saying...

This isn't true! Are you trying to better your chances of marching at said winning corps by discouraging others. Are you referring to a certain section of the corps?

The vast majority of members are college students who are in school during Feb/March.

So, if I'm not local, and I'm a college student, I not only have to pony up $3k or more, I have to tell my parents that I'm blowing off a semester of school to march? JMHO, but that's insane.

Which is why very few corps actually do this. But for some, it is feasible.

The more the staff sees you the better - esp if you standout as always on time, are prepared, have good attitude, etc. IMHO, except for perhaps the top tier of corps, attitude is more important than talent. You can teach technique, teaching positive attitude is far harder

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

But done and by many.

It's only 1 of many things insane in the activity and when someone wants something. I had a student travel, by plane every friday from Sept - April, WGIs just to march a winterguard. YUP, insane but dedicated.

The more the staff sees you the better - esp if you standout as always on time, are prepared, have good attitude, etc. IMHO, except for perhaps the top tier of corps, attitude is more important than talent. You can teach technique, teaching positive attitude is far harder

one thing I should have said in previous post -

be in the best physical shape possible

• Like 1