DCI Audio/Video

Of course, after seeing the announcement from DCI via my Friend's subscription email and having a ray of hope, I see another announcement from Blue Devils that they are taking pre-orders for their "Inside the Blue Devils" annual DVD. Then I notice that their 2015 finals performance is NOT listed as being a part of the DVD, only vignettes, tour life, etc.

2015 is gonna be a YouTube kinda year.

Total speculating here, but I have a theory . . .

I've been thinking on what the major hold up is/could be with respect to licensing. In the past, if there were copyright issues, DCI would just remove the copyrighted material from the products. We'd all complain about the loss of elegance in these fleeting moments, and the "buzzkill" the silence or splced recording created. What is so different about this year that is presenting DCI from releasing audio-video products? After all, products for past years are available for purchase at DCI.org.

And then it hit me: Sondheim. Blue Devils. Disney.

Could it be that that there is no licensing available for the Blue Devils' show? It's not a stretch: Disney is notably jealous of its IP, and I could see it (a) not offering a license for the reproduction rights or (b) demanding a King's ransom (if Disney does not hold the Sondheim rights, this theory also applies to whomever/whichever entity does). If this is the case, is DCI unwilling to offer recordings of its World Championships without its gold medalist?

Again, this is complete speculation, but I'm doing my best to read whatever tea leaves exist. No one at DCI is talking, and that potentially portends that DCI is still negotiating, but the lack of any substantive communication about the 2015 recording is disconcerting.

Of course, after seeing the announcement from DCI via my Friend's subscription email and having a ray of hope, I see another announcement from Blue Devils that they are taking pre-orders for their "Inside the Blue Devils" annual DVD. Then I notice that their 2015 finals performance is NOT listed as being a part of the DVD, only vignettes, tour life, etc.

Two potential scenarios:

1. DCI has paid for the rights to produce a-v products, but the Blue Devils have not done so for their 2015 show.

2. No one is able to secure the reproduction rights to BD's 2015 show, and none of it will be part of DCI's 2015 a-v offerings.

Number 2 would be, well, number 2 (insert poo emoji here).

The 2013 and 2014 "Inside the Blue Devils" video discs didn't have their finals performance on video either, at least as listed on their websites as what was included on the disks. But they did have 5.1 Dolby Digital studio audio recordings of the 2013 and 2014 books respectively, and I don't see that listed for 2015.

But anyway, maybe the 2015 video disc does not indicate a problem with securing rights to BD's Ink show in particular since it seems the same as the past two years.

I know we are not supposed to promote bootleg and I want to claim this is not my purpose. There was an individual who published a decent video I think from Finals on a popular site, a multi cam of either Bluecoats or Cadets. Wish he would release the others and yes, I will still buy the official release, but for now as fans we should be able to watch the shows or listen to them until this is resolved.

As mentioned in the Blue Devils thread, BD today made their Mediabox archive free to everyone. This appears to be their copyright maneuver, as all streaming audio is included (different licenses) but all official DCI performance videos have been removed. That takes BD "out of the firing line" so to speak with DCI/Tresona, I imagine.

Anyways, free audio is awesome, and more free video is always a good thing! BD makes some great in-house vids that are in here, to boot.

Mike

(Edit: looks like all of their videos are hosted through Youtube now. Note that is exactly what WGI did - free and YT.)

George Hopkins sent an email out today to all of the USBands High School Band Directors that there would be NO videos made this season for USBands championship shows due to copyright issues...

This issue is going to reach far and wide now that its spreading to HS band circuits. Imagine the frustration of high school seniors and their parents when they find out they won't be able to purchase a professionally made video keepsake of their Senior year performance at championships.

I know many parents just whip out their phones and record anyway, but it will still be a surprising and frustrating issue for those parents and fans of the high school bands who don't follow the marching arts like we do (DCI, BOA, WGI, etc), and are expecting to be able to purchase videos at or after the various circuit championship shows.

I know BOA has still not been able to release the 2014 vids from last fall... sad.

how was DCA able to make some?

Unfortunately that's my hunch too: screwed w/DCI, WGI, etc. Definitely a bummer, and maybe someday the pendulum will swing back to center instead of the extreme end its on now; it'll NEVER go back to the mid-90s and before hay day when designers were like, "John Williams show? Done. Beatles show? Done!" w/out issues, but perhaps even some sort of archival streaming process can be restored at some point.

At this point, I wonder if it is in Pageantry groups' interests to play hardball, NOT sell anything for awhile, and remind rights holders that making SOME money for nothing is better than making zero money.

not enough $$ in it to truly grab their attention

how was DCA able to make some?

My guess is that DCA probably has a more predictable audience than DCI, and probably a predictable number of sales so licensing may be easier. DCI has far more variables. Younger audiences would be more likely to download than purchase DVD's, some corps would have more hits than others. Fees are probably based on units sold. How do you predict which show will be popular and which will not. As we've seen when DCI used to post which downloads were most popular, placement did not always mean top sales and there were always a few surprises. Regarding DVD sales, this may be unpredictable too. There is the steady crowd that has every DVD/Blu Ray from 1974 to 2014, but some years DVD's do not sell. I remember in 2012 the person at the DCI booth in Indy said they had a hard time keeping 2011 in stock but the previous year they could not give 2010 away. I'm pretty certain licensing fees are based on units sold and I'm assuming this is true since that's how it works for reprints. DCI can probably guess a minimum but maximum would be more difficult and if sales did not reach predictions, more costly. DCA probably doesn't have these issues. BOA, like DCI, probably does.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else get a DCI Live survey recently?

Did anyone else get a DCI Live survey recently?

I did. And in the comment box at the end I suggested they do a better job communicating with the fans / customers about the status of the 2015 audio / video products.