DCI Audio/Video

I've seen now that DCI has their DVD and audio products back on for sale. Does anyone know if they'll be producing the 2015 Blu-rays and DVDs as well as audio CDs? Just curious because I haven't seen anything about it yet.

After the annual DCI meeting, Hop posted on Facebook something like, "The licensing issues are real and dramatic." No details provided. I really hope this gets sorted out soo because this past year was too good not to be able to enjoy in the future.

• Like 2

After the annual DCI meeting, Hop posted on Facebook something like, "The licensing issues are real and dramatic." No details provided. I really hope this gets sorted out soo because this past year was too good not to be able to enjoy in the future.

Assuming that DCI does in fact have at least some type of finals weekend recordings and they end up not being released, someone should "mistakenly" leak them assuming it doesn't cause any legal trouble.

This is ridiculous. There should be an exemption for not for profit 501© organizations. I mean, they aren't doing this for profit! In fact, DCI LOSES money on CDs/DVDs each year. And these artists will still get something. How many people on here have bought something from an artist where they first heard it in Drum Corps? I know I have. This is just another example of corporate greed.

• Like 1

Heard from a G7 corps that they're not even allowed to :give: DVD's away right now. What a mess.

Mike

Such a bummer. As a musician, public school teacher, etc. I 100% get the problems and issues with copyright laws; I support every artist exercising their rights to make as much money as they can off of their artwork, and I'm extremely thankful for all of their art they have 'gifted' us. As a fan & consumer of art, it is of course disappointing that I can't pay what I'm already aware is an over-priced amount for DCI DVDs because of copyright hangups. It's upsetting that this is likely not artists' call, but rather lawyers from a multi-national corporation who owns the copyright.

I will NEVER argue with copyright & a composer's rights to make money off of their art, but as a DCI fan I can say without a doubt this copyright hangup (that caused DCI to not have a FN archive of current season or past seasons) has made me a less-engaged drum corps fan: the activity is kind of "out of sight/out of mind," and for the first year in over a decade DCI has received zero dollars from me - not out of nutty vindictiveness, but because in place of drum corps subscriptions or whatnot I found other ways to occupy my time and money. I'm confident that had FN been same as previous years with the archives and with the 'DVR' function I would've paid again like I always have.

One thing does seem clear: if you're a fan of the activity and there are DVDs of Blu-rays currently for sale you really want but don't own yet, it seems prudent to act now before things get crazier and those go away forever

• Like 3

Don't know if this was mentioned or not already, but did anyone catch in the end-of-year DCI survey that was e-mailed out, a randomly-selected respondent would receive a copy of the 2015 DVD (as an enticement to fill out the survey)?

Wishful thinking on DCI's part? I figure that or copy and paste from last year's e-mail and just change the date without giving it much though for this year.

One way or the other, I'm really glad that I took my own personal videos at shows of the top 5 this year, in a season that could be one of (the??) best ever. Took the videos without any intention of putting them out on YouTube etc. And yes, I know that still violates copyright policy, but I'm really glad I did that this year, when there is a very real possibility that there won't be a permanent record of these shows from an otherwise amazing season.