Cadets 2016

Tobias

Hope they figure out what to do with Adonis.

They put an ad out for a beach-body dude and then yesterday, dressed him up like just another guard member. Considering how little he is in the show, seems a waste of a member at this point, especially when you already have two soloists.

I'm sure they will work him more into the first half of the program. But I also agree, very unnecessary. As I've said it before, Cadets need a lesson in the art of being subtle. The Adonis guy, the larger wedding cake prop, the front stage and all those ramps are unnecessary. A simple column for each of the soloist and one for the featured statue that comes alive during the opener and the empty column base remains empty until the statue returns at the end, is all that's needed. Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3

I'm sure they will work him more into the first half of the program. But I also agree, very unnecessary. As I've said it before, Cadets need a lesson in the art of being subtle. The Adonis guy, the larger wedding cake prop, the front stage and all those ramps are unnecessary. A simple column for each of the soloist and one for the featured statue that comes alive during the opener and the empty column base remains empty until the statue returns at the end, is all that's needed.

Agreed.

I'm also expecting (re: hoping for) an updated color guard costume.

• Like 2

Agreed.

I'm also expecting (re: hoping for) an updated color guard costume.

I believe I heard there are two more costume changes for the guard.

interesting Hopkins etc in Cadets land have been virtually silent on social media since the scores were announced - I'm sure a bit shell shocked and disappointed

the huge electronic "chord" before the final big wedge push was horrific - and the stiff armed "running" of the statue at the end, very distracting. I'm a bit concerned and alarmed by a few of these last minute "tweaks" - who is making these decisions?

• Like 1

I'm sure they will work him more into the first half of the program. But I also agree, very unnecessary. As I've said it before, Cadets need a lesson in the art of being subtle. The Adonis guy, the larger wedding cake prop, the front stage and all those ramps are unnecessary. A simple column for each of the soloist and one for the featured statue that comes alive during the opener and the empty column base remains empty until the statue returns at the end, is all that's needed.

I think you could use a strong word than "unnecessary". There's a lot of time and visual energy spent getting people to/on/off the stages and props. But I didn't think any of it helped them to communicate "Awakening". I only saw in the theater so it's possible the cameras missed some moments, but still...

I think you could use a strong word than "unnecessary". There's a lot of time and visual energy spent getting people to/on/off the stages and props. But I didn't think any of it helped them to communicate "Awakening". I only saw in the theater so it's possible the cameras missed some moments, but still...

yes, the "getting on and off" is a real issue. Clumsy and ineffective. Much like hopping on and off the boxes last year. If I was "director for a day" I would remove the front stage immediately and stage the guard and instrumental features just behind the pit on the turf. Easy fix and problem solved. I'd also dump the left prop and replace it with a much smaller one. JMO

• Like 1

I was overall very happy with the Cadets show last night. Yes there was dirt, but I think that shows had the toughest visual demand out of any show last night. Again, the judges chose to reward clean with lower demand than dirt and high demand. Usually I'm not a Cadets fan, but I think they get the shaft because they aren't perfect even though their show is the hardest out there.

Yes they need to make some major changes, and no I didn't like the wedding cake... But I thought Crown fell flat and Cadets deserved to take second last night.

My concerns:

Visually guard costumes too light as are flags. I get the statue thing but costume needs to have some darker elements OR flags need to have bold color. (Red, dark grey, blue, silver)...

The statues coming to life starting off crawling beginning of show and then "getting their mojo"(like me👍) needs to be developed better.

The role of podiums (humanity) left field and (nonhumanity) right field need to be differentiated.

The guard starts at the right podium and slowly make their way to the other but should never really conquer it. They need to show more "struggle" when they approach it almost in a tormented way to demonstrate the struggles involved with being human.

The resolution of the conflict (end of show) needs much better visual conclusion in drill. The corps ends in a double curved lines but why not in a form representing the conflicts of humanity like a split heart....

The statues ending at their podium is great but certainly none of them made the transition to humanity? Isn't the deeper meaning of the show not about statues coming to life but that they represent us getting out of our comfort zones and striving to be exceptional human beings (YEA motto) and yes most fall short but not all of us. Why not one statue making the transition to greatness? Early vids I saw had one guard member (statue) crawling very quickly towards brass (human podium) way ahead of the other statues in the very beginning of the show. Put that back in show and he should be the statue that transitions over,

Lots to develop and a stronger foundation compared to some other groups last night but the development needs to occur.,

The rest of the issue, CLEAN!

Edited by Tobias

I saw the show in Ada via broadcast. Someone on this thread said earlier in the week that their approach was "get it on the field and then worry about it later." That's probably pretty accurate - but certainly a reasonable approach. Right now this thing is so dirty that I'm not even going to comment on the whole of the performance. But I watched of the sectional rehearsals on YouTube in the spring, and the talent and writing is there musically for a medal in those categories. George D.- I look forward to reading your posts and learn a lot from them. But I've got to push back about The Cadets needing a lesson in being subtle, and about the props/ramps being a bit much. I've never been a BD guy - I respect their execution but just don't care for the look/show design. During the last two years, each time I saw them setting up, I could not keep myself from saying to the people I was with "That sure is a lot of crap on the field." Nothing subtle about their visual choices either (they seemed gaudy to me). And yet BD has potential for a 3-pete. So, I think for the Cadets, the key is to get this thing bolted together more tightly, clean, clean, clean, and the talent could possibly make the GE exceptional. Now on the other hand, if they don't utilize the visuals/props/ramps more fully - you will be right that they will end up being unnecessary. It's only day one - and it's all about execution from here. I'm pumped as ever and hoping for the best! In Hop we trust. :cool: