Cadets 2016

Tobias

I think a lot of the complaint derives two ways:

1. the perception that Bruno Z was treated unfairly. The nepotism issue is not unrelated.

2. the dating situation with the boss.

The corps already went through his rather ugly break-up and divorce when the corps was the Cadets of Bergen County. The scars haven't healed there as the alums from those years are the least involved and rather absent in the support and donations which information and stats can be gleaned from corps alumni pages and comments by YEA staff members publicly and privately.

Several Cadet homers over the years have made the same comments on these DCP threads if you search back over the decade.

In any youth activity faculty I have ever been on there was always a strict code of ethics so as to put the youth and the organizations (schools, youth groups, scouts) not in jeopardy. Touring 24/7 for the ten weeks of DCI is a very different dynamic of relationships from senior corps and DCA models.

I ask what happens if George and the new CG gal break-up during tour? Does the corps and corps members suffer? Do the tensions magnify the already stress-filled (not necessarily distress-filled) dynamics of living with 200+ other people? Most corps already know the stress when MMs date each other and struggle with the relationship during tour. This corps has already struggled with past history when faculty dated horn section leaders (a no, no ) and other faculty not keeping boundaries sufficiently.

I am suggesting it is not merely two consenting adults dating. It's within context, power relationships, responsibilities and accountability.

I sincerely hope what you wish for becomes the result come August. But should the corps be at risk meanwhile? Too many of us bear the scars of this man.

I have to jump in here and just say that support/donations for this corps and many others in DCI have been increasing considerably over the recent years.

I am going to go there.

Do I have any idea how Kristy will work out for the Cadets? No, but having known her our entire lives I hope she does well.

I have had the pleasure of knowing her and the family since before birth. I have also had the honor of teaching with Kristy for several years at Mechanicsburg, and if she's still there when my daughter reaches guard age, I'd have no issue letting her work with my daughter.

I have seen what she inherited with 9 girls in 98, and over time built that program into a world class unit. For any warts or flaws she may have to some, she's ###### good, passionate, and cares for her kids. When a sad incident with a band students death befell the program a few years ago, and one of her kids was involved with that student, Kristy was right there the whole way...not just rehearsal, but god love her, at the scene and driving to the band directors house at midnight to tell him since he wasn't answering his phone.

I saw her work with Cabs, which helped get the corps closer to gold than they had been for years. I saw her work with C2 last summer which took a guard that was getting good and made it great. Is Scholastic World or DCA the same as DCI? No, but she has good people around her, several I know.

here's what I detest, and it puts me in an uncomfortable position.....as I';ve never been one of George's biggest fans. Kristy is getting #### on by armchair critics because she is dating George. While I have no insight to that except to say they seem happy together.....who ####### cares? if she wasn't good, he wouldn't have brought her on board. the Cadets are too precious to George to just hire someone because they're dating. people that have little if any knowledge of Kristy's work are out here trashing her rep because of her love life....guilt by association.

and man, if she pulls another rabbit out of her hat, I can't wait to come in here in August and call out all the naysayers and demand they eat ####### crow.

Regardless of who she is dating, when Kristy Templin wants something, she usually get it. if I started a corps tomorrow, I'd be calling her too.

Thanks Jeff. I know you're not a huge Cadet fan but you personal experience with Kristy is reassuring.

I am going to go there.

Do I have any idea how Kristy will work out for the Cadets? No, but having known her our entire lives I hope she does well.

I have had the pleasure of knowing her and the family since before birth. I have also had the honor of teaching with Kristy for several years at Mechanicsburg, and if she's still there when my daughter reaches guard age, I'd have no issue letting her work with my daughter.

I have seen what she inherited with 9 girls in 98, and over time built that program into a world class unit. For any warts or flaws she may have to some, she's ###### good, passionate, and cares for her kids. When a sad incident with a band students death befell the program a few years ago, and one of her kids was involved with that student, Kristy was right there the whole way...not just rehearsal, but god love her, at the scene and driving to the band directors house at midnight to tell him since he wasn't answering his phone.

I saw her work with Cabs, which helped get the corps closer to gold than they had been for years. I saw her work with C2 last summer which took a guard that was getting good and made it great. Is Scholastic World or DCA the same as DCI? No, but she has good people around her, several I know.

here's what I detest, and it puts me in an uncomfortable position.....as I';ve never been one of George's biggest fans. Kristy is getting #### on by armchair critics because she is dating George. While I have no insight to that except to say they seem happy together.....who ####### cares? if she wasn't good, he wouldn't have brought her on board. the Cadets are too precious to George to just hire someone because they're dating. people that have little if any knowledge of Kristy's work are out here trashing her rep because of her love life....guilt by association.

and man, if she pulls another rabbit out of her hat, I can't wait to come in here in August and call out all the naysayers and demand they eat ####### crow.

Regardless of who she is dating, when Kristy Templin wants something, she usually get it. if I started a corps tomorrow, I'd be calling her too.

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP.

I think a lot of the complaint derives two ways:

1. the perception that Bruno Z was treated unfairly. The nepotism issue is not unrelated.

2. the dating situation with the boss.

The corps already went through his rather ugly break-up and divorce when the corps was the Cadets of Bergen County. The scars haven't healed there as the alums from those years are the least involved and rather absent in the support and donations which information and stats can be gleaned from corps alumni pages and comments by YEA staff members publicly and privately.

Several Cadet homers over the years have made the same comments on these DCP threads if you search back over the decade.

In any youth activity faculty I have ever been on there was always a strict code of ethics so as to put the youth and the organizations (schools, youth groups, scouts) not in jeopardy. Touring 24/7 for the ten weeks of DCI is a very different dynamic of relationships from senior corps and DCA models.

I ask what happens if George and the new CG gal break-up during tour? Does the corps and corps members suffer? Do the tensions magnify the already stress-filled (not necessarily distress-filled) dynamics of living with 200+ other people? Most corps already know the stress when MMs date each other and struggle with the relationship during tour. This corps has already struggled with past history when faculty dated horn section leaders (a no, no ) and other faculty not keeping boundaries sufficiently.

I am suggesting it is not merely two consenting adults dating. It's within context, power relationships, responsibilities and accountability.

I sincerely hope what you wish for becomes the result come August. But should the corps be at risk meanwhile? Too many of us bear the scars of this man.

Frankly I couldn't care less who GH is dating. All I care about is The Cadets' success from here on in. I think we should just leave the past in the past and not nitpick with whomever GH dates. That's his personal life and he can date whomever he choses. There are plenty of people in the drum corps community who have dated. Some of those relationships have flourished, others haven't. That's life.

• Like 1

I have to second Jeff's assessment of Kristy's passion for her program and her kids, as it was recently on full display at a local TOB show.

I would actually pay good money to see a few posters in this thread put in a room with Ms. Templin where they could convey their disdain for her relationship with George and how it will negatively impact the corps directly to her in person.

• Like 3

Thanks Jeff. I know you're not a huge Cadet fan but you personal experience with Kristy is reassuring.

actually, since 83, for the most part i've been a big Cadets fan...just not a George fan. and the shows I didn't like (05-08, 10) ok i was vocal. But #### I loved me some 11 13 and 15

I have to second Jeff's assessment of Kristy's passion for her program and her kids, as it was recently on full display at a local TOB show.

I would actually pay good money to see a few posters in this thread put in a room with Ms. Templin where they could convey their disdain for her relationship with George and how it will negatively impact the corps directly to her in person.

as chief judge that night, there seem to be some wild rumors flying about that. She was fine. if she barked at anyone, it was me LOL

i've been a big Cadets fan...just not a George fan.

This seems to be the general consensus among my friends and I. He is the reason I no longer volunteer or financially support the corps directly. Now, with all the drama that has come out already and the drama still to come out, I'm afraid I will no longer be a fan of the corps in general.

This seems to be the general consensus among my friends and I. He is the reason I no longer volunteer or financially support the corps directly. Now, with all the drama that has come out already and the drama still to come out, I'm afraid I will no longer be a fan of the corps in general.

Funny thing is I seem to keep hearing this over and over again. I personally have never had any dealings with him outside of when I marched. I have never had the opportunity to volunteer for The Cadets due to my military career, but I have heard many people say something like this. I guess it's a good thing I have never had the chance to volunteer because I do not want the actions of one man to affect my opinion of an entire corps.

You bring up very valid points and very truthful thoughts on these things, but asking if she is the best for the position and most qualified is also very valid for those that are.

That being said, she is talented, she does know her stuff, and it may be easier to convey what GH is looking for with a person that he has the closest relationship possible with.

Just a thought:

perhaps she is the best person who is interested in the position. Undoubtedly there are others that are more qualified, but she obviously has a bit of experience in the position with The Cadets and it's not like he's bringing in a total outsider with no experience for the role. Perhaps others who are more qualified simply don't want to take the job: or maybe are unavailable?

Tekk....I understand that persons feeling.

I'm a Cowboys fan. I have loved the team since 1973.

I hate Jerry Jones. Well i did like him until march 1994. I'm loathe to buy anything Cowboys related because it benefits his bottom line. I'd love to go back down and see a game in the new stadium, but.....he gets $$$ from it.

I know some who have expressed similar views when it comes to the Cadets as well. The problem is because of Hop, and how he has operated, you can't have one without the other. And with him being as prominent a personality as he is, when he speaks, to many, the Cadets speak. Same thing with JJ and the Cowboys.

For all many have said and accused Dave Gibbs of on here.......you see/hear little from him. As such, even if he has detractors outside of a few on here, even they do not shower him with the insults George gets.