Alumni Spectacular in 2016?

Or do what a few of the competing and alumni corps already do...play outside the convention center around the river on Friday and Saturday nights. Heck, the amount of people hanging around both inside and outside watching those corps "rehearse" absolutely dwarfs the Alumni Spectacular attendance, at least by my observations.

i agree. you don't need a stadium.

I would absolutely love to play in an Alumni corps. I love the Alumni Spectacular. The classic tunes, the screaming soloists, the raw power and emotion of the bugles. I love every minute of the Spectacular. Moreso than some of the Finals performances. Sadly all of the Alumni corps are tucked in the Northeast and I don't have the time or money to commute hundreds of miles for rehearsals!

The Alumni Corps are indeed mostly from the Golden Era so often mentioned. Age is catching up to the core group who got these corps off the ground and thus we are seeing the thinning of the number of corps as well as the ranks in the still active corps.

It is indeed about 'tribute', but initially it was about guys/gals wanting to relive the great times of the past.

Mr Holland's suggestion of putting the corps out in the parking lot may solve a financial challenge, but GMAB. These folks want to perform on a field like they did back when. The suggestion is a lack of respect for the older generation IMO. Does anyone really believe corps would spend $$$ and drive miles to put on a show in a parking lot ?

One last observation. DCA attendance continues to dwindle to a few thou. Attendance at the AS is even less. Fine - but how many of the Alumni guys/gals/support staff fill seats at the DCA Finals ? I tend to think it could be a BUNCH. Tell the Alumni to take a hike and you will have even far fewer butts in seats for Prelims and Finals.

• Like 1

The Alumni Corps are indeed mostly from the Golden Era so often mentioned. Age is catching up to the core group who got these corps off the ground and thus we are seeing the thinning of the number of corps as well as the ranks in the still active corps.

It is indeed about 'tribute', but initially it was about guys/gals wanting to relive the great times of the past.

Mr Holland's suggestion of putting the corps out in the parking lot may solve a financial challenge, but GMAB. These folks want to perform on a field like they did back when. The suggestion is a lack of respect for the older generation IMO. Does anyone really believe corps would spend $$$ and drive miles to put on a show in a parking lot ?

One last observation. DCA attendance continues to dwindle to a few thou. Attendance at the AS is even less. Fine - but how many of the Alumni guys/gals/support staff fill seats at the DCA Finals ? I tend to think it could be a BUNCH. Tell the Alumni to take a hike and you will have even far fewer butts in seats for Prelims and Finals.

Is it more disrespectful to put them in an EMPTY stadium? or in a place where people will watch them? I didn't say put them in a parking lot. I said to put them in a festival atmosphere where people will show up. With only two groups actually having a field show instead of playing in an arc, the field is superfluous at this point.

• Like 1

>>thanks, andy but your poems are better.

and in the words of the mighty pepe, "don't suck."<<

As the Senator in The Godfather requested of the brother of Frank "Frankie Five Angels" Pentangeli: "Would the gentleman please be sworn in and state his name" (close enough)

You seem to know of me (or at least my poems) ... but, I don't know who you are ... so ... although I can't recall Pepe every saying "don't suck" ... he did say: "Who are you and did you ever win The Dream" ...

Reveal yourself ... you'll feel better ...

:-)

Not to throw a fly into the ointment, BUT a lot of these corps also depend on the check they receive, regardless of the amount, to help off-set expenses incurred in just getting there. Trust me, not all alumni corps are well-heeled or have a sponsor with a bottomless check book. Most members pay their own way to be there to perform, and many struggle to do so, but any assistance to pay the bus bill, etc. is most welcome. Hotels, meals, liquid refreshment, etc. are on the members of each corps. That all adds up to a healthy increase in the city's income too. The DCA corps receive compensation for their performances during the season by DCA at the end of the season. Should not the alumni also receive some compensation? After all, most of the folks attending the alumni show in the afternoon have also bought tickets for the pre-lims and finals. Many of these people have told me that they come to see the alumni corps and as long as they have traveled a great distance, might as well stick around to see the BIG CORPS battle it out too.

Or does the corps just pass the hat in the parking lot or at whatever venue in which they are performing? Keep in mind that these corps are also held to the very same standards as the competing corps as to time, behavior, etc.and are subject to fines being deducted from their checks. And many of the "names" have been on the receiving end of those fines! So most of them really are on their "best behavior" so as to not jeopardize the corps' payday.

These folks LOVE to perform for an appreciative audience, but doing it for nothing will lead to the eventual demise of any drum corps, alumni or competition.

Just my thoughts on the subject, for good or bad. Let the comments commence!

Ray

• Like 1

>>thanks, andy but your poems are better.

and in the words of the mighty pepe, "don't suck."<<

As the Senator in The Godfather requested of the brother of Frank "Frankie Five Angels" Pentangeli: "Would the gentleman please be sworn in and state his name" (close enough)

You seem to know of me (or at least my poems) ... but, I don't know who you are ... so ... although I can't recall Pepe every saying "don't suck" ... he did say: "Who are you and did you ever win The Dream" ...

Reveal yourself ... you'll feel better ...

:-)

I think it was Ruocco who told us "don't suck!", many years ago. It seems it has become a sort of "catch-phrase" before beginning anyone's performance! LOL

andy,

pepe to the carter cadets rehearsing in the basement of mother carter's brownstone- his first teaching gig.