Pioneer 2016

How can you go wrong with Adagio for Strings? One of my favorite works of all time. I look forward to Pioneer's show!

Easy, performance and arrangement. It's a wonderful piece in the right hands, but when it's not its awful.

I saw them

Numbers, full drumline about 25 horns and oh, I’m going to mess this up but about 15 guard?

Their show didn’t seem like it was complete, they burned Joan at the stake and it ended. And the stake burning, high marks for traditional earned GE, the flag flames were very effective (without being flames). Seems like they need some sort of closer on the field

Looks like they had several hole in the brass.

After Genesis, what I noticed was World Class going on after Open Class. Pioneer marched and played better, all the way around. Genesis must have the breaks on their horn line big time as they try to clean up the sound. Marcher to Marcher, Pioneer was clearly better but Genesis is big and big according to the clearly stunted judging because you know, we can't see the recap (yes, this will be my dead horse) in DCI means more GE

Looks like they are around 40 horns, I think they wrote for 50ish so it looks like some holes will need to be filled.

At Dublin last night, I counted 37 brass, 20 battery (7/4/5/4), 12 pit, 1 vocalist, and 15 guard, for a a total of 85. Looked like there were six holes in the brass.

Last year it appears they had 48 brass, 23 battery (9/4/5/5), 15 pit, and 26 guard, for a total of 102. And, in my opinion, they were notably better than they'd been the previous year, but their final standing only improved by one place, and like most corps, their score went down--in their case, by more than two points. Seems to me the 2015 show performed in 2014 would have scored at least 70.

Easy, performance and arrangement. It's a wonderful piece in the right hands, but when it's not its awful.

Yes I have experienced this. Sang it as a transcribed vocal arrangement with less than capable singers once. It was a train wreck but I have faith that Pio will come through. I always enjoy this corps and due to their size, I often feel they are underscored and underappreciated.

Edited by luv4corps

At Dublin last night, I counted 37 brass, 20 battery (7/4/5/4), 12 pit, 1 vocalist, and 15 guard, for a a total of 85. Looked like there were six holes in the brass.

Last year it appears they had 48 brass, 23 battery (9/4/5/5), 15 pit, and 26 guard, for a total of 102. And, in my opinion, they were notably better than they'd been the previous year, but their final standing only improved by one place, and like most corps, their score went down--in their case, by more than two points. Seems to me the 2015 show performed in 2014 would have scored at least 70.

Thought: If Pioneer appeared at 1st contest and were in 'end-of-year-form' which scored a 70, and Blue Devils were there and performed at the level they did last week where they earned a 69-something, would the judges really score Pioneer ahead of Blue Devils? In other words - is a 70 in June the same as a 70 in August?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

Saw Pioneer at Whitewater. Shocked. It was my son's first show, and beforehand had said, "yeah, Pioneer, they'll probably be last place" but was really surprised when they took the field. Excellent program, good sound, and maybe it was because they were close to Milwaukee, but it looked like they were fielding close to 100.

I was even more shocked to see that Roman was still around. He was old when I marched back in the 80's.

• Like 2

Pioneer tackles the life and death of Joan of Arc, and it's artfully staged, especially considering the small sized ensemble. The characterization, drill sets and dramatic action are tasteful and full of impact.

Most noteworthy is the opera soloist whose voice is rock solid, confident and soaring, completely capturing the tenor of Joan of Arc's combination of strength and femininity. Her performance is heightened and convincing, an impossible feat in large scale venues. She's also up against some pretty fierce drum corps loyalists, who are just getting used to voices. Like Joan of Arc herself, this girl sends a big f*** you to the naysayers, and demands her voice be heard.

Opera audiences are generally 400-1000 people, depending on the venue. This valiant performer will likely play for 10,000 in any given DCI Indianapolis performance-- one of the largest live audiences to hear opera this year. She deserves a big audience, based on her guts alone.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 1

Pioneer tackles the life and death of Joan of Arc, and it's artfully staged, especially considering the small sized ensemble. The characterization, drill sets and dramatic action are tasteful and full of impact.

Most noteworthy is the opera soloist whose voice is rock solid, confident and soaring, completely capturing the tenor of Joan of Arc's combination of strength and femininity. Her performance is heightened and convincing, an impossible feat in large scale venues. She's also up against some pretty fierce drum corps loyalists, who are just getting used to voices. Like Joan of Arc herself, this girl sends a big f*** you to the naysayers, and demands her voice be heard.

Opera audiences are generally 400-1000 people, depending on the venue. This valiant performer will likely play for 10,000 in any given DCI Indianapolis performance-- one of the largest live audiences to hear opera this year. She deserves a big audience, based on her guts alone.

Indeed!

I don't care where Pioneer places this year. They're trying something new and brave (for them) and for that they have my respect.

• Like 2

Thought: If Pioneer appeared at 1st contest and were in 'end-of-year-form' which scored a 70, and Blue Devils were there and performed at the level they did last week where they earned a 69-something, would the judges really score Pioneer ahead of Blue Devils? In other words - is a 70 in June the same as a 70 in August?

70 in June is easier because you are missing judges. Edited by BlueStainGlass

70 in June is easier because you are missing judges.

In DCM in early 80s missing judge or partial panel shows had scores based on what captions were judged, for example if there was no 'Music Analysis' judge the max score possible would be 100- whatever the caption was worth.

And kudos to Pioneer (& Roman) for doing what they could to keep DCM alive when DCI decided to put the kabash on the regional associations in the early 2000s. But that's another discussion.

• Like 1