JOBE-THIRDCOAST

Oh don't worry about our crowds that we have hit, last year at dci semis the # was 10,000 +

That didn't suck, we just thought that adding DCA would be fun.

Maybe not. I for sure know that coming out east for DCA would not be cheap.

Well see.

Wait? "We'll see?"

I just went and bought 6 sets of tickets to every DCA event Labor day weekend for me and the five other people who care anything about JOBE,

and now you say "maybe" you'll come out?

Jeesh, I should have just waited to see if you were going to show up at the minicorps contest. You don't have to buy a ticket to that event, it is free.

But, then again, the minicorps contest ranking is according to scores, which are decided on by professional adjudicators.

It's not a clap show, so I am not sure how well JOBE would fare in that venue.

Perhaps you all can come out and do pop-up blasting sessions on the streets of Rochester for inebriated passersby?

And if you follow V.O.R's advice and hook up with "The Edge", I'll bet you could get those Keno wheels they used out of storage.

Drunk folks ate them up last time. I think it was the spinning aspect.

• Like 3

OK... grumpy mini-rant on the way here....LOL...

But is it just me, or does anyone else out there really not care for this ridiculous coyness when it comes to a corps/organization announcing its plans, or musing about its plans, or pondering whether they actually have a plan, or whatever?

Whether it's this JOBE thing, or whatever, or whoever.... come on guys, either tell us you've committed to being at a specific event or don't bother wasting bandwidth, and our time, with this "well... maybe we'll do this, maybe we'll do that" stuff.

You're either in, or out. Either you've signed up for the mini-corps show, or DCA has invited you to perform at the alumni show or in exhibition at either prelims or finals, or... well.... come back and let us know when those plans are firmed up, or not.

Sheesh. :soapbox:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 6

Seems to be a West Coasty thing to act all coy Fran. :satisfied:

Show up, kick ###, take names, do your thing. If you are packin' something, there's no need for the obtuseness. :yin-yang:

Thing is, these people are from Chicagoland. Hence, the "Third Coast" reference.

They are riding the coattails of a group that is riding the coattails of the Jim Ott name/brand.

And frankly they are all, East/West/Third whatever, doing a #### poor job of it.

It actually offends me and almost everyone else I know that they are trading on that name with the ramshackle product they put out.

Let the DCI high brass trophy and recordings of lines he taught to stand for his legacy.

Or stay home and play in the VA basement until it is fit for public presentation.

• Like 2

Meph,

1)There were professional judges judging the clap at DCI sound post or sport last year!

2) Fran, right on!

3) Meph (par deux) The third coast refers to Wisc or Michigan. As much as I enjoy visiting Wisc (or being a fib, as they say) it's always great to come home. I think most are from Wisc.

btw, there is a Canuck JOBE too. (I think).

Thing is, these people are from Chicagoland. Hence, the "Third Coast" reference.

They are riding the coattails of a group that is riding the coattails of the Jim Ott name/brand.

And frankly they are all, East/West/Third whatever, doing a #### poor job of it.

It actually offends me and almost everyone else I know that they are trading on that name with the ramshackle product they put out.

Let the DCI high brass trophy and recordings of lines he taught to stand for his legacy.

Or stay home and play in the VA basement until it is fit for public presentation.

The original, California-based JOBE group isn't riding on anyone's coattails. They are a tribute ensemble made up of a lot of Jim's former students, professional musicians, and drum corps veterans. The wouldn't do anything to sully the Ott name, and they sound fantastic when they perform. That's why this Third Coast crap is so frustrating.

Edited by Kamarag

Well smother my Kanstul in Peanut Butter... I never heard the "Third Coast" term before.... :satisfied:

The question is:

Do they have permission from the estate to use his name with their group?

Much like the Stan Kenton issue for many years until his Widow gave Mike Vax permission to attach Stan's name to his Kenton Alumni Band. And they're quite, quite good and it took them a few years to get that permission.

I believe Kenton was very specific about it, I believe the quote is roughly that he didn't want a "dead man's band" out there with his name on it like Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey et al.

If they have permission, well--- they better daggone well live up to the name is my thoughts on it.

What John said.... the original JOBE is the real deal.

But the one being talked about on this thread... again, I'll believe it when I see it. And I doubt I'll see it.

Never heard of Third Coast either Dub.... Second City yes.....

Chi town Mini? Brig back Synewave(sp?)..... liked their stuff

Edited by JimF-LowBari