Cadets auditon question...

Mokle Mbembe

This is kind of an open-ended question... but... in order to make the Cadets snareline in November, what do I need to do? Particular rudiments I should get up a certain speed, warmups, marching speed, other stuff... what do I need to know? Please help me out here, I do know some of what I'll need but I'm not going to put any of it down here, so I can get a clear reading of what the experienced guys say.

Also... got any recommendations for audition pieces? I don't want to necessarily use the same one as someone else, but I need an idea of what kind to choose difficulty-wise, etc...

And here's the other thing: I don't have an instructor from any corps, or anything, so I have no one to ask except the guys who are online.

I've heard that getting on the line is 10% talent and 90% motivation... true?

This is kind of an open-ended question... but... in order to make the Cadets snareline in November, what do I need to do? Particular rudiments I should get up a certain speed, warmups, marching speed, other stuff... what do I need to know? Please help me out here, I do know some of what I'll need but I'm not going to put any of it down here, so I can get a clear reading of what the experienced guys say.

Mokle,

Have you gone through the yea.org website? I found this about percussion auditions:

"Auditions for the 2004 Cadets Percussion section and Front Ensemble sections will take place Friday, November 21st thru Sunday, November 23rd at Pennsville Middle School in Pennsville, NJ and continue over the weekend of Friday, December 12th (evening) thru Sunday, December 14th at Pennsville Middle School in Pennsville, NJ. For your audition you should be prepared to play various exercises that you are familiar with along with a short solo on your instrument. If you request information prior to the audition weekend we will send some exercises for you to prepare for the audition."

Looks like they would send you some exercises to prepare; might be a good idea to get them.

Mike

Talent gets you in the door.

Motivation/attitude keeps you there.

Good luck!

They should - other corps are already advertising for next year's members as well. If it's not ready, they'll put you on a list until it it, I'm sure.

Either way, call them. (Though you might want to wait until next week - most corps offices are ghost towns this week, I'd think!) :)

Mike