NY/PA/Ontario

With apologies to anyone who feels I am repeating myself.....It's a boring January and I felt like throwing this out there....

The 1970's saw a lot of competitions in this region with lots of corps. My favorites in NY were Squires, St. Joe's, Purple Lancers, Magnificent Yankees, Grenadiers and later Black Knights, Gauchos, Greece Cadets and Imperial regiment.

PA....General Butler Vagabonds, Cambria Cadets, Royal Crusaders and Belvederes

Ontario....Toronto optimists, Seneca Princemen, Etobicoke Crusaders, DeLasalle Oaklands, Midlanders and Flying Dutchmen. Obviously Seneca Optimists and Oakland Crusaders later on.

There were always competitons to go to in the Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse area in NY and shows throughout Ontario, especially Toronto and Kitchener area.

PA had shows in Erie, Warren, Sheffield, Lyndora, Finleyville areas too.

There were lots of junior corps to choose from in those areas too.

I have only kept track of the number of junior corps during the DCI era (1972-present), and you can easily say there were even more active junior corps prior to 1972.

NY--141, PA--42, ONT--35

NY--126, PA--35, ONT--37

NY--119, PA--32, ONT--38

NY--115, PA--32, ONT--37

NY--109, PA--29, ONT--37

NY--99, PA--27, ONT--39

And so on and so on..............

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2016 at 6:16 AM, KeithHall said:

With apologies to anyone who feels I am repeating myself.....It's a boring January and I felt like throwing this out there....

The 1970's saw a lot of competitions in this region with lots of corps. My favorites in NY were Squires, St. Joe's, Purple Lancers, Magnificent Yankees, Grenadiers and later Black Knights, Gauchos, Greece Cadets and Imperial regiment.

PA....General Butler Vagabonds, Cambria Cadets, Royal Crusaders and Belvederes

Ontario....Toronto optimists, Seneca Princemen, Etobicoke Crusaders, DeLasalle Oaklands, Midlanders and Flying Dutchmen. Obviously Seneca Optimists and Oakland Crusaders later on.

There were always competitons to go to in the Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse area in NY and shows throughout Ontario, especially Toronto and Kitchener area.

PA had shows in Erie, Warren, Sheffield, Lyndora, Finleyville areas too.

Slow day in February, one year later:  In the 1960's and 1970's I marched in Senior shows in cities including Dunkirk NY, Angola NY, Hornell NY, Waverly NY, Ithaca NY, Latrobe PA, Carlisle PA, Hershey PA, St. Marys PA, Meadville PA, Saratoga Springs NY, Montreal QUE, Salamanca NY, Jamestown NY, Pittsburgh PA, Johnsonburg PA, Altoona PA, Emmaus PA, Hamilton ONT, Binghamton NY, Warren PA, Sudbury ONT, Endwell NY, Gowanda NY, Hamburg NY - just to name a few:))

You also had the PAL Cadets out of Philly.... the Keystone Regiment and 507th Hornets who merged to become the Crossmen in the 70's, their cadet corps, Iron Cross...

One fellow who judges DCA now was an ex-Cambria Cadet.

In NY you also had a nice little small corps, the Barons of Steuben out of Corning as well as Avant Garde out of Glenn's Falls, NY who was a consistent DCI associate, decent group!

New York States only hopes?.........St. Joe's (left before 1972), Purple Lancers (gone after 1974), Greece Cadets (gone after 1981), Squires (gone after 1982?), Avant Garde (gone early 80's), Patriots (gone in 90's). After that? Maybe Oswego Black Knights, Gauchos, Imperial Regiment, Renegades.

Ontario? Dutchboy, Ventures?

Cardinals of pb 77. Great Year, won US open and butler, if I remember correctly We kicked ### for a class . corps folded in 79 many of us went to oakland crusaders to age out

Edited by Mikey408

• 3 weeks later...

So you know Buzz Welch and Jen Kirschner, Mikey?

No, the names don't ring a bell with me, were they from that group?

Yes. From NY. They marched the magic show year

• Like 1