2016 Rule Congress proposals

I'd argue for a different approach, because A. The distraction is entertaining, but B. There is a safety issue, and C. I see a way to increase accountability. Instead of having them run around the field, or be in a stationary position, let's dangle 'em over the field by guy wires from the rafters of the indoor arenas, like the stadium cams. You could even give them joysticks so they could maneuver over the section they wanted to hear closer. Then the fans get to vote on a smartphone app after the scores are announced whether to let 'em down.

Your proposal is tempting, but it would require use of indoor arenas.

My thoughts on the proposals..

1 - Clarifying Use of Electronic Equipment and Amplification - Sure, if it needs clarification. But keep any changes as simple as possible.

2 - Allow Use of Metronome and Speaker in Warm-up - No. Not only no, hell no. I can't say this emphatically enough. And not only hell no, but enforce the existing rules against metronomes, gock blocks, and loud clapping (particularly in the color guard warm-up zones).

3 - Perc 1 Sheet Modification and 4 - Perc 2 Modification - Well, sure, whatever. But see below.

5 - Convert Perc 2 to Music Analysis 2 and 6 - Relocate Perc 2 to Front Sideline - Um, sure. But see below.

7 - Relocate all Field Judges to Front Sideline - Absolutely yes. Do it right effing now. While you're at it, relocate the brass performance judge to the box, where he should have been all along (see below)

8 - Allow half tenths (.5) for judges - Sure, why not. It will give the average fan the illusion that things are closer than they might otherwise be, and that can generate ticket sales.

9 - Two Caption-Oriented Music Ensemble judges - Meh. This is how it used to be, but will only work if you have two percussion AND two brass judges (one each up in the box, and one each on the front sideline).

Whatever they do, make it fair. Percussion gets two judges, so brass should also get two (one up, one on the field). I'm a huge proponent of getting all field judges off the performance field, and the front sideline makes sense (or front boundary line would be even better....the forward limit for all corps equipment).
Edited by Kamarag

Your proposal is tempting, but it would require use of indoor arenas.

I"m not certain, but I would think that DCI rules do not allow for jetpacks on the parts of performers. I don't think those rules would apply to judges, however. So...voila!! And it even takes indoor arenas out of the equation.

• Like 1

While I can't speak for music (although I do think it's partly the same?) there is only so much information that the judge can take from the sidelines. The only way to really see how the members are truly performing, both individually, and person to person is to jump in there and get your hands dirty.

This is as good of an idea as expecting all NFL referees to be on the sideline. This will make the judges opinions even more subjective to go in the way of certain corps....

Are DCI judges really that distracting to people? I feel like I barely notice them because I'm concentrating on the show/members.

Let me preface my comments by saying that I never marched.

As a spectator I always wondered why you needed to have judges running around the field.

To me it seems the distraction/interfearance on the part of the judges,outweighs any judging benefit.

My wife and I discussed this once with a DCI Judge.

She really coudn't come up with any reasons why you have judges on the field.

So for me,yes to #7.

• Like 3

Although field judges can be an on-the-field eyesore, they do sometimes provide bumper-car intrigue. Besides, sometimes they serve as snare drum picker-uppers and other things that could be occupational hazards.

Without field judging by a drum judge, I think you may eventually see an impact in the drill design for the battery. Corps with outstanding musicianship would want to highlight their abilities, whiles others may be carefully masked within the field design. You just can't hear the dirt as well unless you're right in the middle of the sound.

• Like 4

From a percussionist's perspective, there are definitely details and discrepancies in clarity that you can only judge from up close. Once the brass line gets between you and the battery, you can't hear the things that separate battery sections at that level. Having a field level judge is a choice to sacrifice sampling the whole, to get true samples of the micro details. Having the second percussion judge is an attempt to get the big picture sample.

In other fields, I've encountered this expression: a difference that makes no difference is no difference at all. Or it might be asked: are you really achieving anything worth caring about if it's only noticeable by someone a few feet away from you?

• Like 2

2 - Allow Use of Metronome and Speaker in Warm-up

This presumably stems from an infamous 2015 penalty in 2015, but my understanding is that this prohibition was put in place because it interfered with other corps.

One thing I expect we'll never see in drum corps is something I was shocked to see multiple high school marching bands do this year: have the director hold up a metronome to the drum major at the top of the show and/or at the top of different songs. Ugh!

In other fields, I've encountered this expression: a difference that makes no difference is no difference at all. Or it might be asked: are you really achieving anything worth caring about if it's only noticeable by someone a few feet away from you?

When scores between one drumline and another can be measured in (half) tenths, yes.

• Like 3