2016 Rule Congress proposals

Reading and listening to podcast now. 9 Proposals here---> http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210617288&DB_OEM_ID=33500

1 - Clarifying Use of Electronic Equipment and Amplification

2 - Allow Use of Metronome and Speaker in Warm-up

3 - Perc 1 Sheet Modification

4 - Perc 2 Modification

5 - Convert Perc 2 to Music Analysis 2

6 - Relocate Perc 2 to Front Sideline

7 - Relocate all Field Judges to Front Sideline

8 - Allow half tenths (.5) for judges

9 - Two Caption-Oriented Music Ensemble judges

Edited by mingusmonk

Interesting that a couple of these appear to be an attempt to further "summarize" all of the music captions vs. number 9 where the intent is to EXPAND the role of percussion and brass in the scoring...

There is definitely some overlap. Some are complimentary and some are competing.

Just read them all and when I got to the one about field judges, I had to chuckle. From a spectator's point of view, there is certainly added entertainment in watching these green-shirted footmen avoid certain death as they prance about the hash marks. To see them more stationary would be a huge change indeed.

On a more serious note - the proposed change would be safer and less distracting.

Edited by luv4corps

Let me preface my comments by saying that I never marched.

As a spectator I always wondered why you needed to have judges running around the field.

To me it seems the distraction/interfearance on the part of the judges,outweighs any judging benefit.

My wife and I discussed this once with a DCI Judge.

She really coudn't come up with any reasons why you have judges on the field.

So for me,yes to #7.

• Like 1

From a percussionist's perspective, there are definitely details and discrepancies in clarity that you can only judge from up close. Once the brass line gets between you and the battery, you can't hear the things that separate battery sections at that level. Having a field level judge is a choice to sacrifice sampling the whole, to get true samples of the micro details. Having the second percussion judge is an attempt to get the big picture sample. Is it safer to have them off the field? Maybe, but the instances of injury related to a judge on the field are pretty nonexistent when you consider how many shows are judged each year with judges on the field (including marching band, etc). Some people find the judges distracting. I don't, and don't know a lot of people who do.

As for the reworking of the sheets, I think BOA has this figured out, with music individual judges on the field level, and music ensemble judges in the box. With that in mind, the proposal that eliminates "music analysis" in favor of box and field percussion and brass judges seems to make the most sense in terms of judging the small details that can only be discerned by getting on the field with the performers, and getting the big picture stuff that need space and perspective.

Let me preface my comments by saying that I never marched.

As a spectator I always wondered why you needed to have judges running around the field.

To me it seems the distraction/interfearance on the part of the judges,outweighs any judging benefit.

My wife and I discussed this once with a DCI Judge.

She really coudn't come up with any reasons why you have judges on the field.

So for me,yes to #7.

I have a hard time imagining the percussion side of the activity achieving what it has without the field judge being there.

What was the judge in your conversation above primarily responsible for judging? Visual, Brass, Percussion, Color Guard? (Which then probably leads us to discussing the merit of caption-focused analysis judges).

Edited by mingusmonk

Just read them all and when I got to the one about field judges, I had to chuckle. From a spectator's point of view, there is certainly added entertainment in watching these green-shirted footmen avoid certain death as they prance about the hash marks. To see them more stationary would be a huge change indeed.

On a more serious note - the proposed change would be safer and less distracting.

I'd argue for a different approach, because A. The distraction is entertaining, but B. There is a safety issue, and C. I see a way to increase accountability. Instead of having them run around the field, or be in a stationary position, let's dangle 'em over the field by guy wires from the rafters of the indoor arenas, like the stadium cams. You could even give them joysticks so they could maneuver over the section they wanted to hear closer. Then the fans get to vote on a smartphone app after the scores are announced whether to let 'em down.

• Like 2

I've got little to no problems with any of these, honestly. My only comment is in reassigning the Perc 2 judge criteria, the rationale was that "2 judges provide conflicting opinions." Um, yeah. It happens in every single activity with a multiple judging panel. Ever seen the World Pipe Band results? Or a figure skating judging panel? Marching music is one of the few places where the folks *expect* judging scores to be uniform, and if they're not, then the answer is to remove the second opinion.

Mike

• Like 1

I've got little to no problems with any of these, honestly. My only comment is in reassigning the Perc 2 judge criteria, the rationale was that "2 judges provide conflicting opinions." Um, yeah. It happens in every single activity with a multiple judging panel. Ever seen the World Pipe Band results? Or a figure skating judging panel? Marching music is one of the few places where the folks *expect* judging scores to be uniform, and if they're not, then the answer is to remove the second opinion.

Mike

I know. It's goofy. I trust slight differences of opinion (which can of course include one corps in second in a particular caption while another judge, same caption, has the same corps in fourth, when scores are close) and slight differences show-to-show more than I trust lockstep movement and consistency in scores, which doesn't reflect the way performances change night-to-night. But a lot of vocal drum corps fans want it the other way around, especially when their favorite corps doesn't score as highly as they expect. Scores of artistic performance are and will always be somewhat subjective.

Edited by Peel Paint