Any alumni who have "good" jobs can help/advice me?

To Whom It May Concern,

Hi i'm new at DCP and I'm a current sophomore trombone player at my high school. I'm planning to audition for a euphonium spot Blue Devils/Blue Devils B 2017. After hearing so many stories from alumni and a few friends who are current members, I've always wanted to be march in a drum corps. The only holding me back is my parents and the money. My mom says she wants me to do good in school and get a good job to support my future family (which is probably 10-15 years away from now to even think about). So basically, anything else other than good grades or a good future, she won't talk with about. That's why I need help from any DCI alumni who have "good" jobs and have had experience with DCI and I need advice, help, or maybe even stories you had while you were marching before. Also a little explanation of how your experience with marching a drum corps has affected or influenced you into what you are today. I would really appreciate all the help that I can get and I hope that I can somehow convince my mom to let me march drum corps. Thanks again :)

Sincerely,

anonymous

:bluedevil::bluedevil::bluedevil::music::kewlpics::withstupid::shaun::augen51::poke::fight::notify:

• Like 1

The question is rather difficult. Part of the issue is that tuition/fees for DCI corps are expensive. 5K can buy a lot of college.

As for what happens to people afterwards, well, they're like any other group of people. Most of the people I performed with BITD have done okay for themselves. there were a fair number of Music degrees, a few grad degrees here and there.

We had a Pharmacist with us at Westshore on lead soprano, a Psychatrist on Bass Drum for instance.

It's very difficult to extrapolate the value of anything you learn in a corps because it's not quantifiable, you don't really earn credits for it. In my case, very few school administrators even remotely understood the value of several years of perforking with a top level DCA unit for instance, let alone a DCI unit. I'd say every season in DCA was worth a 12 credit semester of music and education classes, personally, but again, it can't be quantifoed. If you're fortunate, there will be some networking for jobs within the corps organization you're with, but that's always not guaranteed. Nothing is.

You'd think in my case a ### Laude B.S Mus.Ed and a M.S.Ed. in Educational Development and Strategies would have panned out big, it did not. All the planning and setting yourself up for success only gives you some opportunity and chance for success later on in a given career.

I have a guess where your parent is coming from- if you want the safe bet, you do the research, find the jobs out there that are hiring and begging people to come and do them, and you go to the school that offers those opportunities. You may be better off in the long run, but it is your personal choice, or one that someone has de facto forced upon you?

I played the game my Dad's way at first and went into Physics for 2 and a half years and was miserable and unhappy, and rather mediocre at it. At least with Mus. Ed. and the Euphonium I knew what I was good at, I had a hunger to learn and excel, and when I changed majors I made the Dean's list- so that's also something to take into account.

Good luck- the choices aren't easy, nothing is certain. But from my personal experience, the more choiuces you make that are your own, at least you can say they were your own decisions and you can live with them and not blame things on someone else forcing you down a certain path.

I'm an attorney.

I marched world class from 16 (after 11th grade) - 21 (after the 4th year of college). It took me 5 years to finish my undergrad. Then I took a year off of school before entering law school. I finished law school at 26 (instead of 24-25).

Finishing a year later has had absolutely zero negative impact on my career. My age out class had five attorneys, two Ph.Ds, and countless advanced degrees.

• Like 1

By some standards you might consider the jobs I've had to be "good" ones:

Tank commander - US Army

Assistant Booking Agent - William Morris Agency

Performing musician/arranger/corps instructor/DCI adjudicator

High School band director

Audio Producer

College professor

You will notice there are lots of them, some of which overlapped, all of which had something to do with my drum corps experience (even the tank), none of which make you rich, necessarily, all of which demanded skills I learned and refined in drum corps.

It will be necessary to make allies of your parents in your quest. First things first: do well (not "good") in school. Your ability to set and meet educational goals and standards is the same skill you will need in drum corps. You must demonstrate that right now, in your current situation.

When the prominent corps come to your area, bring your parents to a REHEARSAL. That will inform them far better than watching a video or even a live performance.

Everyone here wishes you well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Edited by redhowes

Edited by redhowes

• 3 weeks later...

I concur with the others. Bring your parents to a rehearsal. Show them the intense focus that the members get out of this activity.

I had friends who marched BD, PR, Bluecoats, Magic of Orlando, Cavies, Cadets...and plenty of small corps. They didn't finish school a year late. They didn't make excuses, they just got it done. That's what's part of the activity. Find a way.

I marched Madison. Our hornline produced a few doctors, band directors, college professors, consultants of all types, a fireman, several marines and army vets, and a few pro musicians. You can do drum corps, and not lose anything from college. But you will have to plan for it. Plan for money, travel, and time. Myself, am an entertainment consultant and designer. I do pretty well. I earned my BFA, and MFA in a reasonble amount of time, and managed to march five years. (my extra year of college wasn't due to drum corps, it was due to me changing majors)

This activity helps you focus on detail, and deal with adversity, and remain positive.

I marched All Age and experience I received from working and dealing with different types of people (different ages, life experiences, personalities, etc) was invaluable Work IT for Dept of Defense and have had to deal with same thing with different ranks (up to Captains) and nationalities and their cultures thrown in, Not to mention learning to deal with stress and budgeting your time with a corps and real life was a plus.

Edited by JimF-LowBari