DCI Eastern Classic vs. DCI Finals

Some years I am able to plan my vacation to include both Allentown and Indy. I have done Allentown without Indy but I have never done Indy without Allentown. For me the advantages of Allentown include a great show at night and plenty of time for a "side trip" Gettysburg, Hershey Park, Amish Country on Saturday. There are also things to do in Allentown itself (Dorney Psrk for one). Allentown has a hometown feel to it, the crowd is friendly, and it's a great time.

Indy for me is all drum corps. I am in my seat when prelims begins and try not to miss one show. Same holds true for semis and finals.

If I had to choose one, I would probably choose Indy since it's finals, but since I'm from the Boston area and I could pass through Pennsylvania while traveling to Indiana, I know I'd feel I missed something if I did not go to Alentown.

Allentown snow cones. Lucas Oil addictive nachos.

Allentown dumpy washrooms. Lucas Oil sparkling commodes.

Allentown outdoor sunsets. Lucas Oil florescent lighting.

Allentown free parking. Lucas Oil nearby $10 surface lots.

Allentown 2 days of shows. Lucas Oil 3 days.

Allentown diners. Indianapolis Shapiro's Deli.

Allentown bench style seats. Lucas Oil blue-colored cushioned comfort.

Allentown outdoor performances. Indy indoor.

Allentown audible warm-ups whilst current corps is performing. Lucas Oil nil.

Allentown climbing hill to seats. Indy escalators to upper levels.

Allentown souvenir full price purchases. Indy closeout deals.

Allentown affordable motels. Indy more expensive ones.

Allentown route 22. Indy Meridian Street.

Allentown stadium funnel cakes. Indianapolis Slippery Noodle tater tots.

Edited by DeanInChicago
  • Like 2

For Allentown, I have only two words. Funnel cakes.

This. :thumbup:

I've been to both. For an actual show experience, I actually found Allentown much more enjoyable, but for an overall experience, Indy does offer more overall.

• Like 1

What Jeff said earlier.

Haven't been to DCI East for a while... but there is more than enough to do, and there are plenty of places to eat and drink, in the area. And I have never felt unsafe in the area near the stadium.

One of these years, I would like to get to Indy. The older I get, the more indoor drum corps... no weather problems ever....appeals to me. LOL.

I prefer Allentown by far. I like drum corps outside and It's such a beautiful setting.I also enjoy walking through the park watching corps prepare. On the way back to the car after the show you can tell members/staff how much you enjoyed their show etc. Lots of East coast FMM have picnics and reunions. There's no place I've been with same positive atmosphere.

There is a certain thrill being at finals. However, I HATE the way drum corps sounds in the oil can! I went to finals in Indy for a second time last summer and didn't enjoy it very much at all. There are some nice restaurants but the city is boring to me. I don't plan on returning anytime soon.

What Jeff said earlier.

Haven't been to DCI East for a while... but there is more than enough to do, and there are plenty of places to eat and drink, in the area. And I have never felt unsafe in the area near the stadium.

One of these years, I would like to get to Indy. The older I get, the more indoor drum corps... no weather problems ever....appeals to me. LOL.

Make sure you holler out to hoosier friends that would love to share some food and drink!

Allentown is a great venue, with the biggest plus being outside sound. Drum corps is by far the best when experienced outside with none of the problems that arise with sound when it is indoors. However, if you can clear your schedule, the best day of the year for me personally is Thursday prelims. 36 corps(sometimes a few more or a few less) performing at the best they have all summer long. All of the endings are in, all the changes have been made(other than once in a while a corps throwing in a surprise ending finals night) If you can afford and schedule 2 days, I would suggest staying overnight and watching semis on Friday. The top 25 corps from prelims gives you a second viewing of these shows, which can sometimes be even more enjoyable than the first viewing, if you haven't seen them live at all during the season. If you stay for both days you see over 60 performance by 35+ corps. What an amazing 2 days.

• Like 2

I second you on the vote for Prelims and Semis as the "best two days in all of drum corps!"

I'm with you on this.

Thursday: This is the opportunity to see many of the corps earlier in the day that you may have missed seeing during the season. Each year I am amazed at some of the performances of even the lower open class corps. Plus, we are sometimes treated to international corps that make the special trek to Indy for championships

Friday: Fantastic since the switch to the top 25. What is often striking is the joy the corps at the top of the show bring to the field. They're just happy to be there. As we move through the day, there are always corps that, knowing it's their last run of the season, bring an incredible, jubilant performance. As you get closer to 15-12, you can feel the intensity of the MM's as they attempt at making the cut to Saturday. Then, of course, toward the end of the day, it's about winning the hardware - even if it's positioning for the final show of the year.

There's an incredible number of storylines to both days. Combine that with the vendors, Shapiro's Deli (my favorite deli in the world!) and wall-to-wall drum corps, it's the best vacation any fan of drum corps could ever have.

Allentown snow cones. Lucas Oil addictive nachos.

Allentown dumpy washrooms. Lucas Oil sparkling commodes.

Allentown outdoor sunsets. Lucas Oil florescent lighting.

Allentown free parking. Lucas Oil nearby $10 surface lots.

Allentown 2 days of shows. Lucas Oil 3 days.

Allentown diners. Indianapolis Shapiro's Deli.

Allentown bench style seats. Lucas Oil blue-colored cushioned comfort.

Allentown outdoor performances. Indy indoor.

Allentown audible warm-ups whilst current corps is performing. Lucas Oil nil.

Allentown climbing hill to seats. Indy escalators to upper levels.

Allentown souvenir full price purchases. Indy closeout deals.

Allentown affordable motels. Indy more expensive ones.

Allentown route 22. Indy Meridian Street.

Allentown stadium funnel cakes. Indianapolis Slippery Noodle tater tots.

You had me at "cushioned comfort"