No Detailed Recaps

Don't know if anyone has brought this up yet.

Its hard reading through 22 pages of posts.

If I'm reading this correctly,a corps will be able to see their own recap,but that's all.

To me that takes away the ability of a corps to see how they "stack up" against other corps.

You would only know that you won or last and by how much.

You wouldn't be able to compare "catagories" to see where you're weaker or stronger then your competitors.

This is not clear to me

Could mean literally only their individual detailed sub-caption scores.

or

Their detailed recaps for shows that they participate in.

And the sooner they admit it and move on the better, IMO. Entertainment sells tickets. Scores push excellence that then sells tickets. Scores are only important to marching members, corps staff, and geeks on DCP.

You heard it here, multiple times. Eventually, only the regionals and finals week will be scored.

[/sarcasm?]

I'll go there...

Entertainment sells tickets. Competitive success sells membership & corporate companies for sponsorship. Would Scott Johnson be an international clinician if DCI was getting Superior-only festival-like ratings, same as maybe five or six other corps annually? Maybe, maybe not. I've heard from at least one DCI Director that the percussion caption exists as-is (this was a few years ago) because the competitive aspect drives personal business/employment unlike any other caption does. Caption Heads have signature sticks and mallets, some have personal deals with head, stick, and cymbal companies, and some even have personal cuts of region sales on products. This is ALL based on their competitive success in DCI and WGI. If Caption scores or all scores go away completely, the well dries up sooner rather than later.

As far as Regionals and Champs only being scored, that's an interesting prospect that would potentially make things a bit more difficult to gauge success throughout the season. A looooooot of money is invested in gear, props, flags, uniforms, etc. and it would be tricky to ONLY hear if something works/doesn't when it's too late to change anything.

Even though the same sheets are used BoA regionals and grand nationals are, for all practical purposes, judged on very different scales.

This is very, very true (as are WGI Regionals, indoor circuits that use WGI judges/sheets, and WGI Championships).

That doesn't make the situation easier for kids & parents to accept

Don't know if anyone has brought this up yet.

Its hard reading through 22 pages of posts.

If I'm reading this correctly,a corps will be able to see their own recap,but that's all.

To me that takes away the ability of a corps to see how they "stack up" against other corps.

You would only know that you won or last and by how much.

You wouldn't be able to compare "catagories" to see where you're weaker or stronger then your competitors.

I think you make a great point here. This I feel will now play into the hands of the "more experienced" staffs into making the "right" decisions as to what area might need greater focus. Does this mean though that the numbers given now to the corps will be more meaningful? Without any real comparison...I'm not too sure about that anymore. I'm still confused as well as to what the "rationale" was for having less transparency?

they should just go to participation trophies and pats on the back for everyone.

:sarcasm:

DCI website traffic will be next to nothing if this happens.

they should just go to participation trophies and pats on the back for everyone.

:sarcasm:

DCI website traffic will be next to nothing if this happens.

Can't imagine MM's, Parents spending 3,000 grand to have MM's work in fields from sunup to sundown for 8 weeks to do exhibitions that generate pats on the back for everyone's participation. Even migrants working and sweating in fields from sun up to sundown don't have to pay the farms to pick their crops and to get pats on the back. Its the competition that drives the MM and drives the product to its maximum potential of excellence. Like most endeavors, eliminate competition, and excellence begins to wane quite rapidly, and people's accomplishments begin to diminish quite rapidly as well in such environments, and all across the human spectrum too.

Edited by BRASSO

The only way we'll know if this really works is if, Pioneer, Pacific Crest and the Mandarins finish in the top 12! If the top 12 remain the same well.....then......we can blame Hillary Clinton for emailing the recaps to the judges who weren't supposed to get the recaps until after the season. Cause we alllllll know judges are kept apart from each other and never discuss anything! yup yup yup.....