SCV 2016

Listened to Vanguards show on both high cam and multi cam tonight and heard horn line errors that were not their before. Including releases and individual players sticking out from the ensemble. Concerned.

Heard some errors myself. Definitely nothing to be worried about. They'll know what their mistakes were, and clean up over this next week.

I wouldn't be concerned. It happens like that some nights.

Perhaps just and off night, but with Cavies and Cadets moving ever so closer and closing the gap, its time to go the extra mile.

Listened to Vanguards show on both high cam and multi cam tonight and heard horn line errors that were not their before. Including releases and individual players sticking out from the ensemble. Concerned.

I heard some of these too. I was going to blame it on new layering/body movement, but then I saw them mess up that build into the front in the ballad visually, so now I am thinking it might be more of a fatigue issue.

I heard some of these too. I was going to blame it on new layering/body movement, but then I saw them mess up that build into the front in the ballad visually, so now I am thinking it might be more of a fatigue issue.

No break as they have shows Sunday and Monday before finals run. Good opportunity to correct and build for the push. What a season and show design! Do it! Lock in! Finish it!

I suspect more corps have a big trick up their sleeves for quarter finals after how effective BD's addition of Clara was

Edited by Clutchtow
  • Like 1

Well, well, well. I guess we can put this little drama to bed...

VANGUARD!!!

I am very happy today.

I was at the Massillon show last night (great venue, great weather and great seats) for an amazing night of drum corps. This show MUST be seen live. Everything is so well integrated and blended and the uniforms and guard apparel (I don't like "costumes" :satisfied: ) are so elegant and quintessentially Vanguard. Each of the seasons is SO well thought out and portrayed.

I am a wonk. I admit it. I do have a quibble/comment/nagging thought, however: the ending. I love a Vanguard soft ending as much as the next person, but this feels awkward and tacked on, and the cymbal V almost feels obligatory. From the build to shield form on, it feels disjoint, made all the more noticeable by how NOT disjoint the remainder of the show is. I have no idea what, if anything, they have planned, and I will still hold this as one of my favorite Vanguard shows, but I just feel it deserves so much more at the end. Cycle back to a soft Spring ending with guard members back in the spring apparel "blooming again" around the tree. Something.

Ok, enough of that. My god, what a BEAUTIFUL show... :wub:

• Like 5

I am very happy today.

I was at the Massillon show last night (great venue, great weather and great seats) for an amazing night of drum corps. This show MUST be seen live. Everything is so well integrated and blended and the uniforms and guard apparel (I don't like "costumes" :satisfied: ) are so elegant and quintessentially Vanguard. Each of the seasons is SO well thought out and portrayed.

I am a wonk. I admit it. I do have a quibble/comment/nagging thought, however: the ending. I love a Vanguard soft ending as much as the next person, but this feels awkward and tacked on, and the cymbal V almost feels obligatory. From the build to shield form on, it feels disjoint, made all the more noticeable by how NOT disjoint the remainder of the show is. I have no idea what, if anything, they have planned, and I will still hold this as one of my favorite Vanguard shows, but I just feel it deserves so much more at the end. Cycle back to a soft Spring ending with guard members back in the spring apparel "blooming again" around the tree. Something.

Ok, enough of that. My god, what a BEAUTIFUL show... :wub:

I agree with everything ^^^.

Some notes:

I am the one who uses the word "costume" because I want to differentiate from the marching members' "uniform" and I didn't know what other term to use. In the future I can use your suggestion of "guard apparel" which fits better than my term. :cool:

At Massilon last night ONE GUY loudly and with conviction gave the Vanguard Yell and it stuck out like a sore thumb. If we are voting, I would leave it out. It's not needed for the audience to connect with the Vanguard. The corps had the very hip Massilon audience eating out of their hand, despite the fact it was a Bluecoats home show.

I would add my support for Mr. Gak's observation about the "new ending." I am a Vanguard homer and a huge fan and I loved the ending with the cymbal "V" but there is NO DOUBT the crowd was about to explode with a standing "O" after the last big horn hit. The new ending threw water on the fire that would have been the crowd reaction.

I'm not saying take the soft ending out, but maybe include just a bit of a pause to allow for the OBVIOUS standing "O" fan appreciation moment? :thumbs-up:

Mr. Gak, I know you don't like the lead up music that works its way into the "shield" formation, but have you heard the source material, After The Storm? That's how the music is written.

I like it. :cool:

Edited by wvu80

* Respectfully snipped *

Mr. Gak, I know you don't like the lead up music that works its way into the "shield" formation, but have you heard the source material, After The Storm? That's how the music is written.

I like it. :cool:

Mr. WVU :satisfied: , I have no qualms with the music in that section of the show - I love all of the music and arrangements (and you bet I listened to all the source music :cool: ) - I guess my quibble/comment/nagging thought is more with how it transitions, especially from the shield to the soft ending...not nearly as much with the big hit front to shield portion. I should have been more clear.

BTW, great meeting you last night!