Blu-Rays

I bought my first DCI BR --- 2014. Yes, the picture quality is amazing, but what happened to the extras? Only two angles? (No guard/drum cameras.) I see the finale. No more judges or designer audio? Is this standard for BR or also for DVD? If I'd have known, I wouldn't have spent the money. Boo.

I bought my first DCI BR --- 2014. Yes, the picture quality is amazing, but what happened to the extras? Only two angles? (No guard/drum cameras.) I see the finale. No more judges or designer audio? Is this standard for BR or also for DVD? If I'd have known, I wouldn't have spent the money. Boo.

Yeah I think they stopped doing all that in 2008. I miss all those other features as well. Added so much more value to the recordings.

I would be curious if DCI was using BD-25 or BD 50 discs. BD-25 is much cheaper to use but you only have 25GB of storage. If I only had that much storage, I would only include the basic shows and some extra's.

Guard and drum angles, judges comments, and designer audio all require a lot more storage on the disc(and a larger disc storage size i.e BD-50). That adds to manufacturing and licensing costs(which can be expensive for DCI).

that stuff costs money and time to do. so likely the costs didn't outweigh the return.

that stuff costs money and time to do. so likely the costs didn't outweigh the return.

I always thought it could be a really cool thing for individual corps to do on their own: if they sold their own Finals judge mp3s for each caption. They can do them ala RiffTrax where the buyer has to 'sync' the mp3 file up with the video, that way it's minimal work/maximum profit margin.

I would be curious if DCI was using BD-25 or BD 50 discs. BD-25 is much cheaper to use but you only have 25GB of storage. If I only had that much storage, I would only include the basic shows and some extra's.

Guard and drum angles, judges comments, and designer audio all require a lot more storage on the disc(and a larger disc storage size i.e BD-50). That adds to manufacturing and licensing costs(which can be expensive for DCI).

The DCI BRs say on the packaging that it's dual-layer 50GB. I popped in a disc and MKV reported over 37GB in use - not enough space left for two more angles of guard and drums, not in full video quality, anyway.

Edited by drangin
  • Like 1