Why Isn't "America The Beautiful" Played on DCI Finals Nig

Hi fellow drum corps fans,

I have a question...I must have woke-up from a comma. Last time I checked, all corps played "America the Beautiful" together on Finals Night after the scores had been reported. The worst part is, I asked some people sitting near me last summer, young people, and they said, "Dude, huh? We've never heard of that."

This is ashame. Please don't tell me it's because of political correctness or things got "too busy to coordinate,""too much going on so, they couldn't "fit it in."

In an age where people ... young people ... are taught that America "stinks," America is "rotten," to the core (no pun intended) this is a DCI tradition that helps people love their country. Isn't playing "America the Beautiful" by all the corps something we can all agree was a good thing?

If there's a "lame" reason why they stopped, I'll be starting a petition to bring it back. Count on it.

Chris

• Haha 1

Simple answer is that the MMs aren't just American competitors, nor are the units. Check the SoundSport and Drumline rosters from last season as evidence, The Blue Saints from Sherbrooke, P.Q., Canada and Jubal from the Netherlands are recent drum corps participants..

Please don't try to trump drum corps. Patriotism definitely has it's place. Your anger which you are calling citizenship may not be the best solution for the idealism you seek. Rather than complain here, contact DCI directly. Have a great day.

P.S.: I did like the interweave of O Canada and America when corps were only from the US and Canada. That's not DCI today.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 4

Hi fellow drum corps fans,

I have a question.. Last time I checked, all corps played "America the Beautiful" together

If there's a "lame" reason why they stopped, I'll be starting a petition to bring it back. Count on it.

Chris

Maybe its a Copywrite issue with " America the Beautiful ".... and " O Canada "

• Like 2

Respectfully DCP Fanatic, this is a forum for these kind of discussions. The perfect place for a topic like this. Please don't try to politicize drum corps.

These are not all the corps that include Canada. These are the World Class Top 12 corps that played it after one of the Final nights. It was handled fine by corps members in the 90s, who didn't see it as a burden to honor America.

Intolerance has no place in DCI...including intolerance for America. I'm not asking to make it political -- America the Beautiful isn't political, unless you are inserting politics into everything. We invite the Marine Corps into the Final ceremonies...that's very "American."

I'm not even asking this to be a political discussion. I'm simply asking why isn't it played now? And so far there hasn't been an answer. It was done for many years. This is something DCI fans would again embrace.

Music and lyrics first published together in 1910, thus they are within the public domain

Well THATS a relief ( and no excuse )

DCI should consider " Sweet Caroline " at INT, imo. INT has loudspeakers for amplification now that makes it practical too. Standup singalongs encouraged from Finals Night fans in attendance with the rendition too.

Neil Diamond has waived the copywrite issue, and says he needs all the musical exposure that DCI will permit.