1978 trivia concert book brass merger

The whole Fox Valley Raiders/Guardsmen/Celebration Suite thing did come to my mind, but Fox Valley Raiders were never a DCI associate member. (And the song arrangement was not quite the same, either.)

Going into the DCI Championship week I was convinced Fox Valley was going to place in the top 25. They had 60 horns, and Fred Bell, soprano soloist extraordinaire. Their show was centered around Celebration Suite, and the stratospheric playing of Mr. Bell.

By the end of the summer the show just seemed to fizzle out.

Interesting thing about your Fox Valley/Guardsmen/Celebration Suite tie is that Fred Bell would be the soloist for the Guardsmen in '78 when they played it.

Edited by Northern Thunder
  • Like 1

Fox Valley is what my intention was and I mistaked the top 25. Raiders were 29th. Your first answers are more right if Argone was in the top 25!

Oops my bad. You guys are on it. I 'm gonna drop and do 50!!!!!

• Like 1

Tim Salzman, Scott Wagner rocked that horn line. Glen Conrad mellow phone soloist also a raider as well and Mike Donka Baritone. DCP helps kink out the false memories we sometimes forget. Also thank you DCW and the repertoire pages as well.

Big salute! Fred went on to age out with Madison I think. Kevin Donka went to Blue Stars...I went with him lol. 3 others went to Phantom.

That was a fun,humbling post.

Great forum.

Tim Salzman, Scott Wagner rocked that horn line. Glen Conrad mellow phone soloist also a raider as well and Mike Donka Baritone. DCP helps kink out the false memories we sometimes forget. Also thank you DCW and the repertoire pages as well.

Big salute! Fred went on to age out with Madison I think. Kevin Donka went to Blue Stars...I went with him lol. 3 others went to Phantom.

That was a fun,humbling post.

Great forum.

Sounds like you were close to Fox Valley. Did you march with them by any chance?

I have Fox Valley's '77 yearbook.

You're right about Fred Bell. He did march with Madison in '79. Phantom wanted him badly.

The rumor was that the Regiment was going to perform Pagliacci again if they could have gotten Bell.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Yup. ......41,42,48....49....ah snap!

I also ment Argonaunts. Not Argone Rebels....another 50?

Scott died? Ugh

I Lived with the Severson family that year. Moe was our director. Don Hill was our hornline head. Steve Smith drums and Frank with his interval stick m + m. Dave Kampsher our chair.

I went to join the drum line but marched 1st Soprano.